If you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, get rid of of green waste, or have a hitch is really handy. In this post, we will explain the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Ram ProMaster . Obviously, regardless if the set up process is not complex, it is required to explain some points to consider this intervention without any problem. Firstly, we will discover what the electrical wiring harness of your motor vehicle hitch involves, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Ram ProMaster .
What’s the wiring harness for a Ram ProMaster hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Ram ProMaster?
So we will start our article by detailing the basics of a wiring harness of a Ram ProMaster. In order to figure out how it works, you must already figure out its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is fundamental and earlier all mandatory by the highway code to follow certain rules, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to meet all the electrical requirements, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Ram ProMaster . We will focus on this in this article, if you want to discover how to install the hitch of a Ram ProMaster, please discover our article on this theme.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Ram ProMaster?
We will now quickly explain how the electrical connection of your hitch works. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your motor vehicle to power the hitch lights on your Ram ProMaster. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Ram ProMaster trailer, 7 pins : This is the traditional plug that will be determined on all Ram ProMaster hitches. This electrical connection will allow you to transmit all the lighting functions needed for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will discover a plug for each action (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Ram ProMaster: This plug system is mainly used for caravans that require 12 volts inside to supply the various electrical equipment in the cabin. This kind of connection needs the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the car is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Ram ProMaster?
To conclude this article, we will quickly explain you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your Ram ProMaster .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Ram ProMaster?
To mount the wiring harness of an old Ram ProMaster, you will have to go and get all the required cables in the rear lights of this one. We suggest you to call in a motor vehicle electrician for this intervention because it is complex, but we will nevertheless summarize the most important steps to be carried out:
- Remove the trunk lining from your Ram ProMaster to access the rear light unit.
- Identify the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Ram ProMaster?
For new Ram ProMasters, the wiring harness is much easier to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will discover specific ones for your Ram ProMaster and universal models. It’s up to you to choose according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Remove the trunk lining from your Ram ProMaster so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Ram ProMaster and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the case in the trunk effectively.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Ram ProMaster?
Finally, to conclude this article we will quickly explain you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your Ram ProMaster . To do this you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to choose the one that corresponds to your model and your budget. After you have done this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
To find more tips on the Ram ProMaster, take a look at the Ram ProMaster category.