Regardless of you need to move house, go on vacation with a caravan, get rid of of green waste, or have a hitch is really handy. In this article, we will explain the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Nissan Maxima . In fact, even if the installation process is not complex, it is necessary to explain some points to consider this work without any problem. Firstly, we will see what the electrical wiring harness of your motor vehicle hitch involves, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Nissan Maxima .
What’s the wiring harness for a Nissan Maxima hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Nissan Maxima?
So we will begin our article by explaining the principles of a wiring harness of a Nissan Maxima. In order to understand how it works, you must previously understand its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is essential and earlier all mandatory by the highway code to respect certain protocols, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to satisfy all the electrical requirements, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Nissan Maxima . We will focus on this in this article, if you want to find out how to install the hitch of a Nissan Maxima, please see our article on this theme.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Nissan Maxima?
We will now fairly quickly explain how the electrical connection of your hitch works. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your motor vehicle to power the hitch lights on your Nissan Maxima. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Nissan Maxima trailer, 7 pins : This is the traditional plug that will be found on all Nissan Maxima hitches. This electrical connection will enable you to transmit all the lighting functions required for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will discover a plug for each objective (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Nissan Maxima: This plug system is principally used for caravans that involve 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical equipment in the cabin. This kind of connection needs the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the car is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Nissan Maxima?
To finish this article, we will fairly quickly explain you how to produce the connection of the wiring harness of your Nissan Maxima .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Nissan Maxima?
To install the wiring harness of an old Nissan Maxima, you will have to go and get all the necessary cables in the rear lights of this one. We recommend you to call in a motor vehicle electrician to do this intervention because it is complex, but we will nevertheless summarize the main steps to be performed:
- Take out the trunk lining from your Nissan Maxima to access the rear light unit.
- Identify the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Nissan Maxima?
For modern Nissan Maximas, the wiring harness is much less complicated to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will discover particular ones for your Nissan Maxima and universal models. It’s up to you to select according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Take out the trunk lining from your Nissan Maxima so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Nissan Maxima and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the case in the trunk properly.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Nissan Maxima?
Finally, to finish this article we will fairly quickly explain you how to produce the electrical connection of a caravan on your Nissan Maxima . To achieve this you will automatically have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to select the one that means your model and your budget. After you have done this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
If you need more tutorials on the Nissan Maxima, go to our Nissan Maxima category.