Whether you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, get rid of of green waste, or have a hitch is really handy. In this article, we will describe the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Mercedes Benz GLS Class . Indeed, regardless if the installation procedure is not difficult, it is required to explain some details to consider this work without any problem. Firstly, we will find out what the electrical wiring harness of your motor vehicle hitch contains, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Mercedes Benz GLS Class .
What’s the wiring harness for a Mercedes Benz GLS Class hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Mercedes Benz GLS Class?
So we will commence our content page by explaining the principles of a wiring harness of a Mercedes Benz GLS Class. In order to understand how it functions, you must previously understand its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is necessary and above all mandatory by the highway code to respect certain laws, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to fulfill all the electrical regulations, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Mercedes Benz GLS Class . We will concentrate on this in this article, if you want to discover how to install the hitch of a Mercedes Benz GLS Class, please find out our content page on this topic.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Mercedes Benz GLS Class?
We will now quickly describe how the electrical connection of your hitch functions. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your motor vehicle to power the hitch lights on your Mercedes Benz GLS Class. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Mercedes Benz GLS Class trailer, 7 pins : This is the traditional plug that will be found on all Mercedes Benz GLS Class hitches. This electrical connection will allow you to transmit all the lighting functions necessary for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will discover a plug for each action (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Mercedes Benz GLS Class: This plug system is principally used for caravans that necessitate 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical equipment in the cabin. This kind of connection needs the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the motor vehicle is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Mercedes Benz GLS Class?
To end this content page, we will quickly describe you how to produce the connection of the wiring harness of your Mercedes Benz GLS Class .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Mercedes Benz GLS Class?
To install the wiring harness of an old Mercedes Benz GLS Class, you will have to go and get all the required cables in the rear lights of this one. We suggest you to call in a motor vehicle electrician for this intervention because it is difficult, but we will nevertheless summarize the most important steps to be carried out:
- Take out the trunk lining from your Mercedes Benz GLS Class to access the rear light unit.
- Identify the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Mercedes Benz GLS Class?
For new Mercedes Benz GLS Classs, the wiring harness is much less complicated to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will discover specific ones for your Mercedes Benz GLS Class and universal models. It’s up to you to select according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Take out the trunk lining from your Mercedes Benz GLS Class so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Mercedes Benz GLS Class and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the circumstance in the trunk effectively.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Mercedes Benz GLS Class?
Finally, to end this content page we will quickly describe you how to produce the electrical connection of a caravan on your Mercedes Benz GLS Class . To do this you will automatically have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to select the one that means your model and your budget. After you have conducted this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
To get more tips on the Mercedes Benz GLS Class, take a look at the Mercedes Benz GLS Class category.