Regardless of you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, get rid of of green waste, or have a hitch is pretty handy. On this page, we will show you the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Mazda MX 5 Miata . In truth, even if the set up process is not difficult, it is required to clarify some points to consider this intervention without any issue. Firstly, we will see what the electrical wiring harness of your motor vehicle hitch consists of, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Mazda MX 5 Miata .
What’s the wiring harness for a Mazda MX 5 Miata hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Mazda MX 5 Miata?
So we will start our content by explaining the basics of a wiring harness of a Mazda MX 5 Miata. In order to discover how it works, you must already discover its necessity. Whether you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is essential and above all mandatory by the highway code to respect certain laws, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to fulfill all the electrical regulations, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Mazda MX 5 Miata . We will concentrate on this in this post, if you want to discover how to install the hitch of a Mazda MX 5 Miata, please see our content on this theme.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Mazda MX 5 Miata?
We will now fairly quickly show you how the electrical connection of your hitch works. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your motor vehicle to power the hitch lights on your Mazda MX 5 Miata. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Mazda MX 5 Miata trailer, 7 pins : This is the classic plug that will be found on all Mazda MX 5 Miata hitches. This electrical connection will allow you to transmit all the lighting functions required for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will locate a plug for each action (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Mazda MX 5 Miata: This plug system is principally used for caravans that necessitate 12 volts inside to supply the various electrical equipment in the cabin. This sort of connection needs the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the motor vehicle is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Mazda MX 5 Miata?
To end this content, we will fairly quickly show you you how to produce the connection of the wiring harness of your Mazda MX 5 Miata .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Mazda MX 5 Miata?
To install the wiring harness of an old Mazda MX 5 Miata, you will have to go and get all the required cables in the rear lights of this one. We suggest you to call in a motor vehicle electrician to do this intervention because it is difficult, but we will nevertheless summarize the main steps to be performed:
- Take out the trunk lining from your Mazda MX 5 Miata to access the rear light unit.
- Identify the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Mazda MX 5 Miata?
For modern Mazda MX 5 Miatas, the wiring harness is much easier to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will locate particular ones for your Mazda MX 5 Miata and universal models. It’s up to you to select according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Take out the trunk lining from your Mazda MX 5 Miata so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Mazda MX 5 Miata and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the case in the trunk effectively.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Mazda MX 5 Miata?
Finally, to end this content we will fairly quickly show you you how to produce the electrical connection of a caravan on your Mazda MX 5 Miata . To achieve this you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to select the one that corresponds to your model and your budget. After you have done this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
If you need more tutorials on the Mazda MX 5 Miata, go to our Mazda MX 5 Miata category.