Whether you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, dispose of green waste, or have a hitch is really handy. On this page, we will show you the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a GMC Acadia . Indeed, even if the set up process is not difficult, it is necessary to explain some points to consider this work without any issue. Firstly, we will find out what the electrical wiring harness of your car hitch involves, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a GMC Acadia .
What’s the wiring harness for a GMC Acadia hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a GMC Acadia?
So we will begin our content page by explaining the principles of a wiring harness of a GMC Acadia. In order to discover how it functions, you must already discover its necessity. Whether you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is necessary and above all mandatory by the highway code to follow certain protocols, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to meet all the electrical regulations, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your GMC Acadia . We will look into this in this post, if you want to find out how to install the hitch of a GMC Acadia, please find out our content page on this subject.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a GMC Acadia?
We will now fairly quickly show you how the electrical connection of your hitch functions. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your car to power the hitch lights on your GMC Acadia. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a GMC Acadia trailer, 7 pins : This is the classic plug that will be located on all GMC Acadia hitches. This electrical connection will enable you to transmit all the lighting functions required for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will find a plug for each objective (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for GMC Acadia: This plug system is mainly used for caravans that necessitate 12 volts inside to supply the various electrical gear in the cabin. This type of connection necessitates the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the motor vehicle is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a GMC Acadia?
To finish this content page, we will fairly quickly show you you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your GMC Acadia .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old GMC Acadia?
To mount the wiring harness of an old GMC Acadia, you will have to go and get all the necessary cables in the rear lights of this one. We advise you to call in a car electrician for this intervention because it is difficult, but we will nevertheless summarize the most important steps to be performed:
- Take out the trunk lining from your GMC Acadia to access the rear light unit.
- Find the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent GMC Acadia?
For new GMC Acadias, the wiring harness is much simpler to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will find specific ones for your GMC Acadia and universal models. It’s up to you to select according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Take out the trunk lining from your GMC Acadia so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your GMC Acadia and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the circumstance in the trunk effectively.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on GMC Acadia?
Finally, to finish this content page we will fairly quickly show you you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your GMC Acadia . To achieve this you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to select the one that means your model and your budget. After you have conducted this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
If you wish more tutorials on the GMC Acadia, go to our GMC Acadia category.