Regardless of you need to move house, go on vacation with a caravan, dispose of green waste, or have a hitch is really handy. In this article, we will explain the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Ford F 550 . In actual fact, even if the set up process is not complex, it is required to explain some details to consider this work without any problem. First of all, we will find out what the electrical wiring harness of your car hitch consists of, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Ford F 550 .
What’s the wiring harness for a Ford F 550 hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Ford F 550?
So we will commence our content page by detailing the principles of a wiring harness of a Ford F 550. In order to figure out how it functions, you must already figure out its necessity. Whether you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is essential and above all mandatory by the highway code to respect certain requirements, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to meet all the electrical requirements, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Ford F 550 . We will look into this in this article, if you want to discover how to install the hitch of a Ford F 550, please find out our content page on this topic.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Ford F 550?
We will now quickly explain how the electrical connection of your hitch functions. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your car to power the hitch lights on your Ford F 550. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Ford F 550 trailer, 7 pins : This is the classic plug that will be determined on all Ford F 550 hitches. This electrical connection will enable you to transmit all the lighting functions required for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will discover a plug for each action (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Ford F 550: This plug system is principally used for caravans that necessitate 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical devices in the cabin. This type of connection necessitates the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the motor vehicle is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Ford F 550?
To conclude this content page, we will quickly explain you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your Ford F 550 .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Ford F 550?
To mount the wiring harness of an old Ford F 550, you will have to go and get all the required cables in the rear lights of this one. We recommend you to call in a car electrician for this intervention because it is complex, but we will nevertheless summarize the main steps to be carried out:
- Remove the trunk lining from your Ford F 550 to access the rear light unit.
- Find the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Ford F 550?
For new Ford F 550s, the wiring harness is much easier to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will discover particular ones for your Ford F 550 and universal models. It’s up to you to choose according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Remove the trunk lining from your Ford F 550 so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Ford F 550 and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the circumstance in the trunk properly.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Ford F 550?
Finally, to conclude this content page we will quickly explain you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your Ford F 550 . To do this you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to choose the one that means your model and your budget. After you have done this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
To get more tips on the Ford F 550, take a look at the Ford F 550 category.