Regardless of you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, dispose of green waste, or have a hitch is fairly handy. In this post, we will describe the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Fiat Stilo . In truth, regardless if the set up procedure is not difficult, it is necessary to explain some details to consider this intervention without any problem. Firstly, we will see what the electrical wiring harness of your motor vehicle hitch contains, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Fiat Stilo .
What’s the wiring harness for a Fiat Stilo hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Fiat Stilo?
So we will start our content page by detailing the fundamentals of a wiring harness of a Fiat Stilo. In order to understand how it works, you must previously understand its necessity. Whether you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is necessary and above all mandatory by the highway code to follow certain protocols, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to fulfill all the electrical regulations, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Fiat Stilo . We will look into this in this post, if you want to learn how to install the hitch of a Fiat Stilo, please see our content page on this topic.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Fiat Stilo?
We will now quickly describe how the electrical connection of your hitch works. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your motor vehicle to power the hitch lights on your Fiat Stilo. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Fiat Stilo trailer, 7 pins : This is the classic plug that will be discovered on all Fiat Stilo hitches. This electrical connection will enable you to transmit all the lighting functions necessary for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will discover a plug for each function (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Fiat Stilo: This plug system is principally used for caravans that necessitate 12 volts inside to supply the various electrical equipment in the cabin. This type of connection needs the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the car is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Fiat Stilo?
To end this content page, we will quickly describe you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your Fiat Stilo .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Fiat Stilo?
To install the wiring harness of an old Fiat Stilo, you will have to go and get all the necessary cables in the rear lights of this one. We recommend you to call in a motor vehicle electrician to do this intervention because it is difficult, but we will nevertheless summarize the most important steps to be accomplished:
- Remove the trunk lining from your Fiat Stilo to access the rear light unit.
- Locate the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Fiat Stilo?
For modern Fiat Stilos, the wiring harness is much less complicated to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will discover particular ones for your Fiat Stilo and universal models. It’s up to you to choose according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Remove the trunk lining from your Fiat Stilo so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Fiat Stilo and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the case in the trunk properly.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Fiat Stilo?
Finally, to end this content page we will quickly describe you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your Fiat Stilo . To get this done you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to choose the one that points your model and your budget. After you have conducted this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Fiat Stilo, do not hesitate to consult our Fiat Stilo category.