If you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, get rid of of green waste, or have a hitch is really handy. In this post, we will describe the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Dodge Avenger . Obviously, regardless if the installation process is not complex, it is necessary to explain some points to consider this task without any problem. Firstly, we will discover what the electrical wiring harness of your car hitch consists of, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Dodge Avenger .
What’s the wiring harness for a Dodge Avenger hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Dodge Avenger?
So we will start our content page by explaining the principles of a wiring harness of a Dodge Avenger. In order to figure out how it functions, you must already figure out its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is important and earlier all mandatory by the highway code to follow certain rules, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to satisfy all the electrical obligations, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Dodge Avenger . We will concentrate on this in this post, if you want to find out how to install the hitch of a Dodge Avenger, please discover our content page on this topic.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Dodge Avenger?
We will now quickly describe how the electrical connection of your hitch functions. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your car to power the hitch lights on your Dodge Avenger. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Dodge Avenger trailer, 7 pins : This is the classic plug that will be discovered on all Dodge Avenger hitches. This electrical connection will enable you to transmit all the lighting functions necessary for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will discover a plug for each action (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Dodge Avenger: This plug system is mainly used for caravans that necessitate 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical devices in the cabin. This type of connection requires the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the car is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Dodge Avenger?
To finish this content page, we will quickly describe you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your Dodge Avenger .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Dodge Avenger?
To mount the wiring harness of an old Dodge Avenger, you will have to go and get all the necessary cables in the rear lights of this one. We suggest you to call in a car electrician for this intervention because it is complex, but we will nevertheless summarize the most important steps to be carried out:
- Remove the trunk lining from your Dodge Avenger to access the rear light unit.
- Locate the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Dodge Avenger?
For new Dodge Avengers, the wiring harness is much easier to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will discover particular ones for your Dodge Avenger and universal models. It’s up to you to choose according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Remove the trunk lining from your Dodge Avenger so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Dodge Avenger and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the circumstance in the trunk effectively.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Dodge Avenger?
Finally, to finish this content page we will quickly describe you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your Dodge Avenger . To get this done you will automatically have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to choose the one that points your model and your budget. After you have done this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
If you wish more tutorials on the Dodge Avenger, go to our Dodge Avenger category.