If you need to move house, go on vacation with a caravan, get rid of of green waste, or have a hitch is pretty handy. In this post, we will describe the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Audi Q3 . Indeed, regardless if the installation procedure is not difficult, it is required to clarify some details to consider this task without any problem. Firstly, we will find out what the electrical wiring harness of your car hitch consists of, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Audi Q3 .
What’s the wiring harness for a Audi Q3 hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Audi Q3?
So we will start our content page by explaining the fundamentals of a wiring harness of a Audi Q3. In order to figure out how it functions, you must already figure out its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is essential and above all mandatory by the highway code to respect certain rules, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to meet all the electrical requirements, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Audi Q3 . We will look into this in this article, if you want to learn how to install the hitch of a Audi Q3, please find out our content page on this subject.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Audi Q3?
We will now quickly describe how the electrical connection of your hitch functions. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your car to power the hitch lights on your Audi Q3. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Audi Q3 trailer, 7 pins : This is the traditional plug that will be discovered on all Audi Q3 hitches. This electrical connection will allow you to transmit all the lighting functions needed for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will find a plug for each action (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Audi Q3: This plug system is mainly used for caravans that necessitate 12 volts inside to supply the various electrical devices in the cabin. This kind of connection needs the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the motor vehicle is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Audi Q3?
To conclude this content page, we will quickly describe you how to produce the connection of the wiring harness of your Audi Q3 .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Audi Q3?
To mount the wiring harness of an old Audi Q3, you will have to go and get all the required cables in the rear lights of this one. We advise you to call in a car electrician for this intervention because it is difficult, but we will nevertheless summarize the main steps to be performed:
- Remove the trunk lining from your Audi Q3 to access the rear light unit.
- Locate the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Audi Q3?
For modern Audi Q3s, the wiring harness is much less complicated to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will find specific ones for your Audi Q3 and universal models. It’s up to you to choose according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Remove the trunk lining from your Audi Q3 so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Audi Q3 and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the case in the trunk effectively.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Audi Q3?
Finally, to conclude this content page we will quickly describe you how to produce the electrical connection of a caravan on your Audi Q3 . To achieve this you will automatically have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to choose the one that points your model and your budget. After you have done this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
If you wish more tutorials on the Audi Q3, go to our Audi Q3 category.