Today we’re going to concentrate on an issue that may look unimportant to most of you, but has happened to a lot of drivers! In truth, we are going to deal with the of a key locked on you Volvo V60, and what to do if you are in this position? Whether it doesn’t want to fit in the cylinder or you can’t turn it any longer, we will try to help you locate the origin of this issue and give you the solution. It may seem logical, but when you don’t know all the cars in detail, being in face of a locked key can be disconcerting. Before you think about buying a new key or having it rebuilt, go through this guideline. In this article, we will first try to describe why the key gets stuck in your cylinder Volvo V60, and secondly, how to unlock the key from your Volvo V60.
Why is my key locked in my Volvo V60?
What could have happened to your car key being blocked in the cylinder of your Volvo V60? In this part we will try to describe why your key can get stuck. There are some reasons that can bring about the key to your car to get locked.
- Some dirt gathered on it, which may trigger the key to get stuck in the cylinder’s sprocket device. It can either prevent it from entering the cylinder easily, or it can block it inside the cylinder.
- A broken or damaged key, if your key is cracked, bent or has some of its teeth damaged, it’s bound to have a hard time matching the impression in the barrel of your Volvo V60.
- A steering wheel locker activated, which will prevent your key from turning and thus start your Volvo V60.
- Finally, it may be that if you have an automatic gearbox, you have the D position engaged and that this avoids the key of your car from turning correctly in the barrel.
All these elements can cause an external or internal blocking of the key of your Volvo V60, so make sure to check all these points to know what issue you are facing.
How to unlock the key of my Volvo V60
To conclude, let’s go forward to the solution part that will allow you to unlock the key of your Volvo V60. Now that you’ve been able to analyze the explanation why your key is blocked, we’ll see what possibilities are available to you to remedy this issue. We will take up the different concerns and give you the corresponding answers:
- Dirt blocking the key to your Volvo V60: If you key is stuck in the cylinder, use a wrench remover and move the key (without too much strength) in different directions to try to unlock it. If it doesn’t want to go in any longer, be sure to check it properly and clean out any dirt you may find. If you think the dirt is in the cylinder or switch, move the key back and forth to try to get the dirt out.
- The key of my Volvo V60 doesn’t turn any longer and my steering wheel is locked: In this case, it’s your anti-theft device that is turned on, you will have to all in one go turn your steering wheel and your key to unlock it, read this complete tutorial on the steering wheel locked on Volvo V60 to have the complete procedure.
- Broken, damaged or twisted key: This is the most annoying circumstance, if it is only twisted, you can try to straighten it on a flat surface with a sledgehammer, if it is harmed you will regrettably have to use the duplicate or buy a new copy of the key of your Volvo V60. If it is damaged and you do not have a duplicate, you will have to get the code “VIN” and go to your dealership to get a copy of your key. Otherwise, last answer, convert the cylinder and get a new key.
- Key locked in my automatic Volvo V60: In cases like this, you’ll only have to go through neutral to unlock your key from the cylinder.
If you want more tutorials on the Volvo V60, go to our Volvo V60 category.