On this page we’re going to concentrate on an issue that may look superficial to most of you, but has happened to a lot of car owners! In reality, we are going to deal with the of a key locked on you GMC Yukon, and where to start if we find ourselves in this position? Whether it doesn’t want to fit in the cylinder or you can’t turn it anymore, we will try to help you uncover the source of this problem and give you the remedy. It may seem obvious, but when you don’t know all the cars in depth, being confronted with a locked key can be disconcerting. Before you think about buying a new key or having it remanufactured, go through this guide. In this article, we will first of all try to teach you why the key gets stuck in your cylinder GMC Yukon, and secondly, how to unlock the key from your GMC Yukon.
Why is my key locked in my GMC Yukon?
What could have occurred to your car key being blocked in the cylinder of your GMC Yukon? In this section we will try to teach you why your key can get stuck. There are some explanations that can bring about the key to your car to get locked.
- Some dirt built up on it, which may cause the key to get stuck in the cylinder’s sprocket system. It can either prevent it from entering the cylinder easily, or it can block it inside the cylinder.
- A broken or damaged key, if your key is broken, bent or has some of its teeth damaged, it’s bound to have a hard time matching the impression in the barrel of your GMC Yukon.
- A steering wheel locker activated, which will prevent your key from turning and thus start your GMC Yukon.
- Finally, it may be that if you have an automatic gearbox, you have the D position engaged and that this avoids the key of your car from turning properly in the barrel.
All these causes can cause an external or internal blocking of the key of your GMC Yukon, so remember to examine all these factors to know what problem you are facing.
How to unlock the key of my GMC Yukon
Finally, let’s proceed to the solution section that will enable you to unlock the key of your GMC Yukon. Now that you’ve managed to analyze the motive why your key is blocked, we’ll see what answers are available to you to solve this problem. We will take up the different problems and give you the corresponding solutions:
- Dirt blocking the key to your GMC Yukon: If you key is stuck in the cylinder, use a wrench remover and move the key (without too much pressure) in different directions to try to unlock it. If it doesn’t want to go in anymore, be certain to inspect it properly and clean out any dirt you may find. If you think the dirt is in the cylinder or switch, move the key back and forth to try to get the dirt out.
- The key of my GMC Yukon doesn’t turn anymore and my steering wheel is locked: In this instance, it’s your anti-theft system that is turned on, you will have to at the same time turn your steering wheel and your key to unlock it, browse this full guide on the steering wheel locked on GMC Yukon to have the complete treatment.
- Broken, damaged or twisted key: This is the most annoying circumstance, if it is only twisted, you can try to straighten it on a flat surface with a sledgehammer, if it is harmed you will regrettably have to use the duplicate or buy a new copy of the key of your GMC Yukon. If it is damaged and you do not have a duplicate, you will have to get the code “VIN” and go to your dealer to receive a copy of your key. Otherwise, last solution, change the cylinder and get a new key.
- Key locked in my automatic GMC Yukon: In this case, you’ll only have to go through neutral to unlock your key from the cylinder.
To discover more tips on the GMC Yukon, take a look at the GMC Yukon category.