On this article we’re going to focus on a problem that may seem trivial to most of you, but has happened to a lot of motorists! In truth, we are going to talk about the of a key locked on you GMC Yukon XL, and how to proceed if you are in this position? Whether it doesn’t want to suit in the cylinder or you can’t turn it anymore, we will try to help you uncover the cause of this issue and give you the solution. It may seem obvious, but when you don’t know all the cars in detail, being in face of a locked key can be disconcerting. Before you think about buying a new key or having it rebuilt, go through this guide. In this content, we will first try to explain why the key gets stuck in your cylinder GMC Yukon XL, and secondly, how to unlock the key from your GMC Yukon XL.
Why is my key locked in my GMC Yukon XL?
What could have occurred to your car key being blocked in the cylinder of your GMC Yukon XL? In this section we will try to teach you why your key can get stuck. There are some answers that can trigger the key to your car to get locked.
- Some dirt built up on it, which may trigger the key to get stuck in the cylinder’s sprocket system. It can either prevent it from entering the cylinder easily, or it can block it inside the cylinder.
- A broken or damaged key, if your key is cracked, bent or has some of its teeth damaged, it’s bound to have a hard time coordinating the impression in the barrel of your GMC Yukon XL.
- A steering wheel locker activated, which will prevent your key from turning and thus start your GMC Yukon XL.
- Finally, it may be that if you have an automatic gearbox, you have the D position engaged and that this prevents the key of your car from turning properly in the barrel.
All these explanations can cause an external or internal blocking of the key of your GMC Yukon XL, so be sure you examine all these points to know what issue you are working on.
How to unlock the key of my GMC Yukon XL
To conclude, let’s go forward to the remedy part that will allow you to unlock the key of your GMC Yukon XL. Now that you’ve been able to evaluate the motive why your key is blocked, we’ll see what possibilities are available to you to cure this issue. We will take up the different concerns and give you the corresponding solutions:
- Dirt blocking the key to your GMC Yukon XL: If you key is stuck in the cylinder, use a wrench remover and move the key (without too much strength) in different directions to try to unlock it. If it doesn’t want to go in anymore, ensure to inspect it cautiously and clean out any dirt you may find. If you think the dirt is in the cylinder or switch, move the key back and forth to try to get the dirt out.
- The key of my GMC Yukon XL doesn’t turn anymore and my steering wheel is locked: In this instance, it’s your anti-theft system that is turned on, you will have to simultaneously turn your steering wheel and your key to unlock it, examine this full article on the steering wheel locked on GMC Yukon XL to have the complete process.
- Broken, damaged or twisted key: This is the most bothersome circumstance, if it is only twisted, you can try to straighten it on a flat surface with a sledgehammer, if it is broken you will unfortunately have to use the duplicate or buy a new copy of the key of your GMC Yukon XL. If it is damaged and you do not have a duplicate, you will have to get the code “VIN” and go to your dealership to obtain a copy of your key. In any other case, last option, change the cylinder and get a new key.
- Key locked in my automatic GMC Yukon XL: In cases like this, you’ll only have to go through neutral to unlock your key from the cylinder.
If you want more tutorials on the GMC Yukon XL, go to our GMC Yukon XL category.