Today we’re going to focus on an issue that could look unimportant to most of you, but has happened to a lot of car owners! Actually, we are going to deal with the of a key locked on you BMW 5 Series, and what to do if you are in this position? Whether it doesn’t want to suit in the cylinder or you can’t turn it any longer, we will try to help you find the origin of this issue and give you the remedy. It may seem logical, but when you don’t know all the cars in detail, being faced with a locked key can be disturbing. Before you think about buying a new key or having it remanufactured, browse this article. In this article content, we will first try to explain why the key gets stuck in your cylinder BMW 5 Series, and secondly, how to unlock the key from your BMW 5 Series.
Why is my key locked in my BMW 5 Series?
What could have occurred to your car key being blocked in the cylinder of your BMW 5 Series? In this part we will try to show you why your key can get stuck. There are several reasons that can trigger the key to your car to get locked.
- Some dirt gathered on it, which may trigger the key to get stuck in the cylinder’s sprocket device. It can sometimes prevent it from entering the cylinder correctly, or it can block it inside the cylinder.
- A broken or damaged key, if your key is cracked, bent or has some of its teeth damaged, it’s bound to have a hard time corresponding the impression in the barrel of your BMW 5 Series.
- A steering wheel locker activated, which will prevent your key from turning and thus start your BMW 5 Series.
- At last, it may be that if you have an automatic gearbox, you have the D position engaged and that this stops the key of your car from turning correctly in the barrel.
All these answers can cause an external or internal blocking of the key of your BMW 5 Series, so make sure to verify all these points to know what issue you are working on.
How to unlock the key of my BMW 5 Series
To finish , let’s proceed to the remedy part that will enable you to unlock the key of your BMW 5 Series. Now that you’ve been able to determine the reason why your key is blocked, we’ll see what answers are available to you to remedy this issue. We will take up the different trouble and give you the corresponding answers:
- Dirt blocking the key to your BMW 5 Series: If you key is stuck in the cylinder, use a wrench remover and move the key (without too much pressure) in different ways to try to unlock it. If it doesn’t want to go in any longer, make sure to examine it attentively and clean out any dirt you may find. If you think the dirt is in the cylinder or switch, move the key back and forth to try to get the dirt out.
- The key of my BMW 5 Series doesn’t turn any longer and my steering wheel is locked: In this case, it’s your anti-theft device that is activated, you will have to simultaneously turn your steering wheel and your key to unlock it, read this complete tutorial on the steering wheel locked on BMW 5 Series to have the complete procedure.
- Broken, damaged or twisted key: This is the most annoying case, if it is only twisted, you can try to straighten it on a flat surface with a sledgehammer, if it is broken you will unfortunately have to use the duplicate or buy a new copy of the key of your BMW 5 Series. If it is damaged and you do not have a duplicate, you will have to get the code “VIN” and go to your vendor to receive a copy of your key. Otherwise, last remedy, change the cylinder and get a new key.
- Key locked in my automatic BMW 5 Series: In this case, you’ll only have to go through neutral to unlock your key from the cylinder.
To get more tips on the BMW 5 Series, take a look at the BMW 5 Series category.