On this page we will try to help you solve a issue that can be annoying, and if not managed on time become a financial drain. In fact, distinguishing a leak on your car is never reassuring, and it is even less calming when it’s a gearbox leak on your smart fortwo . In this article, we’re going to help you verify that it’s in truth a gearbox leak, then, how to fix a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention tips, and, at last, give you an idea of the price of the gearbox of a smart fortwo.
Gearbox leak on smart fortwo, origin and symptom
If you have detected an oil stain on the ground, you will need to verify that this leak is in truth based on the gearbox of your smart fortwo. To do this, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be based on your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once affirmed, here are the possible sources of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s improperly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Only present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In case it is cracked or damaged
- One of your seals damaged
How to fix a gearbox leak on smart fortwo?
After discovering the different sources of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your smart fortwo, we will try to show you to you what are your options to fix this oil leak. Remember that no matter the reason, after having determined a leak, you must go to a garage area to identify the exact origin of the leak, otherwise your gearbox may be irreparably damaged. Nevertheless, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to identify the leak, the auto mechanic will have to take apart your gearbox, which will necessitate a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto mechanic will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your smart fortwo, otherwise you’ll have to replace the complete gearbox
- Finally, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your smart fortwo?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your smart fortwo , however here are the three most effective:
- Frequent oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this action, please examine our content page on this subject matter.
- Use a specific additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug slight leaks, you will locate some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a smart fortwo gearbox
Finally, we would like to give you an idea of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a smart fortwo. As you have understood, gearbox problems often lead to a complete replace of this part. It is tricky to give you a precise price because based on the garage area the labour can vary a lot and based on your engine the part will also have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
If you need more tutorials on the smart fortwo, go to our smart fortwo category.