Today we will try to help you fix a issue that can be annoying, and if not taken in time become a financial drain. In truth, finding a leak on your car is never reassuring, and it is even less calming when it’s a gearbox leak on your skoda octavia . In this article, we’re going to help you confirm that it’s in actual fact a gearbox leak, then, how to fix a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, at last, give you an indication of the price of the gearbox of a skoda octavia.
Gearbox leak on skoda octavia, source and symptom
If you have identified an oil stain on the ground, you will need to verify that this leak is in actual fact caused by the gearbox of your skoda octavia. To achieve this, you will need to go under your vehicle and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be caused by your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once verified, here are the possible origins of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s improperly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event that it is cracked or broken
- One of your seals broken
How to repair a gearbox leak on skoda octavia?
After discovering the different origins of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your skoda octavia, we will try to explain to you what are your options to fix this oil leak. Be aware that in any case, after having founded a leak, you must go to a mechanic to distinguish the exact source of the leak, otherwise your gearbox may be irreparably broken. Nevertheless, here is how the service of the mechanic and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to distinguish the leak, the auto technician will have to dismantle your gearbox, which will necessitate a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto technician will change it and reassemble the gearbox of your skoda octavia, otherwise you’ll have to replace the complete gearbox
- Finally, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your skoda octavia?
There aren’t many alternatives to avoid gearbox leaks on your skoda octavia , nevertheless here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this task, please read our content on this subject matter.
- Use a particular additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and enable to plug moderate leaks, you will find some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a skoda octavia gearbox
Finally, we would like to give you an indication of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a skoda octavia. As you have understood, gearbox problems often lead to a complete replace of this part. It is tricky to give you a precise price because based on the mechanic the labour can vary a lot and based on your engine the part will also have a different price, nevertheless, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
If you need more guides on the skoda octavia, go to our skoda octavia category.