Today we will try to help you resolve a problem that can be irritating, and if not managed on time become a financial drain. In fact, spotting a leak on your car is rarely reassuring, and it is even less reassuring when it’s a gearbox leak on your Renault Trafic . Today, we’re going to help you confirm that it’s in truth a gearbox leak, then, how to remedy a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, at last, give you an idea of the price of the gearbox of a Renault Trafic.
Gearbox leak on Renault Trafic, source and symptom
If you have identified an oil stain on the ground, you will need to validate that this leak is in truth caused by the gearbox of your Renault Trafic. To accomplish this, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be caused by your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once validated, here are the possible roots of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s incorrectly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In case it is cracked or damaged
- One of your seals damaged
How to fix a gearbox leak on Renault Trafic?
After discovering the different roots of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Renault Trafic, we will try to show you to you what are your possibilities to remedy this oil leak. Bear in mind that in any case, after having distinguished a leak, you must go to a garage area to identify the exact source of the leak, in any other case your gearbox may be irreparably damaged. However, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to identify the leak, the auto technician will have to take apart your gearbox, which will involve a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto technician will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Renault Trafic, in any other case you’ll have to change the complete gearbox
- Finally, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Renault Trafic?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Renault Trafic , however here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this task, please examine our content on this subject matter.
- Use a particular additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug slight leaks, you will discover some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Renault Trafic gearbox
Finally, we would like to give you an idea of how much it costs to change the gearbox of a Renault Trafic. As you have understood, gearbox problems often lead to a complete change of this part. It is hard to give you a precise price because depending on the garage area the labour can vary a lot and depending on your engine the component will also have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the component alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
To find more tips on the Renault Trafic, take a look at the Renault Trafic category.