Today we will try to help you fix a problem that can be frustrating, and if not managed on time become a financial drain. Indeed, distinguishing a leak on your car is never reassuring, and it is even less calming when it’s a gearbox leak on your Renault Latitude . In this article, we’re going to help you confirm that it’s in fact a gearbox leak, then, how to remedy a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, finally, give you an indication of the price of the gearbox of a Renault Latitude.
Gearbox leak on Renault Latitude, source and symptom
If you have noticed an oil stain on the ground, you will need to verify that this leak is in fact coming from the gearbox of your Renault Latitude. To get this done, you will need to go under your vehicle and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be coming from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once affirmed, here are the possible roots of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s improperly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event that it is cracked or damaged
- One of your seals damaged
How to repair a gearbox leak on Renault Latitude?
After discovering the different roots of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Renault Latitude, we will try to explain to you what are your possibilities to remedy this oil leak. Bear in mind that no matter the reason, after having founded a leak, you must go to a garage area to distinguish the exact source of the leak, in any other case your gearbox may be irreparably damaged. However, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to distinguish the leak, the auto mechanic will have to take apart your gearbox, which will involve a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto mechanic will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Renault Latitude, in any other case you’ll have to replace the whole gearbox
- At last, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Renault Latitude?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Renault Latitude , however here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this manipulation, please read our content on this subject matter.
- Use a specific additive for routine service of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug slight leaks, you will locate some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Renault Latitude gearbox
At last, we would like to give you an indication of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Renault Latitude. As you have realized, gearbox problems often lead to a whole replace of this part. It is tricky to give you a precise price because based on the garage area the labour can vary quite a lot and based on your engine the part will also have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
To discover more tips on the Renault Latitude, take a look at the Renault Latitude category.