On this page we will try to help you solve a issue that can be frustrating, and if not taken on time become a financial drain. Indeed, spotting a leak on your car is never reassuring, and it is even less calming when it’s a gearbox leak on your Mini Cooper . In this article, we’re going to help you ensure that it’s indeed a gearbox leak, then, how to fix a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, finally, give you an idea of the price of the gearbox of a Mini Cooper.
Gearbox leak on Mini Cooper, origin and symptom
If you have detected an oil stain on the ground, you will need to confirm that this leak is indeed caused by the gearbox of your Mini Cooper. To do this, you will need to go under your vehicle and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be caused by your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once affirmed, here are the possible origins of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s incorrectly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event it is cracked or damaged
- One of your seals damaged
How to repair a gearbox leak on Mini Cooper?
After discovering the different origins of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Mini Cooper, we will try to explain to you what are your options to fix this oil leak. Take note that no matter the reason, after having determined a leak, you must go to a garage area to identify the exact origin of the leak, in any other case your gearbox may be irreparably damaged. Nevertheless, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to identify the leak, the auto technician will have to dismantle your gearbox, which will require a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto technician will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Mini Cooper, in any other case you’ll have to change the whole gearbox
- At last, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only effective in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Mini Cooper?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Mini Cooper , however here are the three most effective:
- Frequent oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this action, please go through our content page on this subject.
- Use a specific additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and enable to plug slight leaks, you will locate some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Mini Cooper gearbox
At last, we would like to give you an idea of how much it costs to change the gearbox of a Mini Cooper. As you have realized, gearbox problems quite often lead to a whole change of this part. It is difficult to give you a precise price because depending on the garage area the labour can vary quite a lot and depending on your engine the component will also have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the component alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
To find more tips on the Mini Cooper, take a look at the Mini Cooper category.