In this article we will try to help you fix a problem that can be annoying, and if not taken in time become a financial drain. Obviously, spotting a leak on your vehicle is never reassuring, and it is even less calming when it’s a gearbox leak on your Mercedes Classe C 4 . Today, we’re going to help you verify that it’s in truth a gearbox leak, then, how to fix a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, finally, give you an indication of the price of the gearbox of a Mercedes Classe C 4.
Gearbox leak on Mercedes Classe C 4, source and manifestation
If you have detected an oil stain on the ground, you will need to confirm that this leak is in truth originating from the gearbox of your Mercedes Classe C 4. To get this done, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be originating from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once verified, here are the possible origins of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s improperly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Only present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In case it is cracked or broken
- One of your seals broken
How to fix a gearbox leak on Mercedes Classe C 4?
After discovering the different origins of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Mercedes Classe C 4, we will try to explain to you what are your options to fix this oil leak. Take note that in any case, after having identified a leak, you must go to a garage area to identify the exact source of the leak, in any other case your gearbox may be irreparably broken. Nevertheless, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to identify the leak, the auto mechanic will have to take apart your gearbox, which will involve a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto mechanic will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Mercedes Classe C 4, in any other case you’ll have to replace the complete gearbox
- At last, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is just powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Mercedes Classe C 4?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Mercedes Classe C 4 , nevertheless here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this action, please examine our content on this subject.
- Use a particular additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug slight leaks, you will find some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Mercedes Classe C 4 gearbox
At last, we would like to give you an indication of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Mercedes Classe C 4. As you have realized, gearbox problems generally lead to a complete replace of this part. It is difficult to give you a precise price because depending on the garage area the labour can vary quite a lot and depending on your engine the part will also have a different price, nevertheless, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Mercedes Classe C 4, do not hesitate to consult our Mercedes Classe C 4 category.