On this page we will try to help you solve a issue that can be irritating, and if not handled on time become a financial drain. Surely, finding a leak on your car is never reassuring, and it is even less calming when it’s a gearbox leak on your Mercedes Benz E Class . Today, we’re going to help you verify that it’s in fact a gearbox leak, then, how to repair a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention tips, and, finally, give you an idea of the price of the gearbox of a Mercedes Benz E Class.
Gearbox leak on Mercedes Benz E Class, origin and symptom
If you have noticed an oil stain on the ground, you will need to verify that this leak is in fact based on the gearbox of your Mercedes Benz E Class. To do this, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be based on your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once verified, here are the possible sources of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s incorrectly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just equipped on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event it is cracked or broken
- One of your seals broken
How to repair a gearbox leak on Mercedes Benz E Class?
After discovering the different sources of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Mercedes Benz E Class, we will try to explain to you what are your possibilities to repair this oil leak. Realize that in any case, after having identified a leak, you must go to a garage area to determine the exact origin of the leak, otherwise your gearbox may be irreparably broken. Nevertheless, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to determine the leak, the auto mechanic will have to take apart your gearbox, which will require a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto mechanic will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Mercedes Benz E Class, otherwise you’ll have to replace the complete gearbox
- Finally, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only effective in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Mercedes Benz E Class?
There aren’t many alternatives to avoid gearbox leaks on your Mercedes Benz E Class , nevertheless here are the three most effective:
- Frequent oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this manipulation, please examine our content on this subject matter.
- Use a specific additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and enable to plug moderate leaks, you will locate some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Mercedes Benz E Class gearbox
Finally, we would like to give you an idea of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Mercedes Benz E Class. As you have realized, gearbox problems generally lead to a complete replace of this part. It is tricky to give you a precise price because based on the garage area the labour can vary a lot and based on your engine the part will as well have a different price, nevertheless, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
To get more tips on the Mercedes Benz E Class, take a look at the Mercedes Benz E Class category.