On this page we will try to help you fix a issue that can be irritating, and if not managed in time become a financial drain. In fact, distinguishing a leak on your vehicle is hardly ever reassuring, and it is even less reassuring when it’s a gearbox leak on your Mazda 6 . Today, we’re going to help you verify that it’s obviously a gearbox leak, then, how to repair a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention tips, and, at last, give you an idea of the price of the gearbox of a Mazda 6.
Gearbox leak on Mazda 6, source and manifestation
If you have identified an oil stain on the ground, you will need to validate that this leak is obviously coming from the gearbox of your Mazda 6. To achieve this, you will need to go under your vehicle and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be coming from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once affirmed, here are the possible origins of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s incorrectly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Only equipped on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event it is cracked or damaged
- One of your seals damaged
How to repair a gearbox leak on Mazda 6?
After discovering the different origins of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Mazda 6, we will try to show you to you what are your options to repair this oil leak. Realize that no matter the reason, after having determined a leak, you must go to a garage area to identify the exact source of the leak, in any other case your gearbox might be irreparably damaged. Nevertheless, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to identify the leak, the auto technician will have to dismantle your gearbox, which will involve a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto technician will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Mazda 6, in any other case you’ll have to replace the complete gearbox
- Finally, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only effective in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Mazda 6?
There aren’t many alternatives to avoid gearbox leaks on your Mazda 6 , however here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this task, please browse our article on this subject.
- Use a specific additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and enable to plug slight leaks, you will find some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Mazda 6 gearbox
Finally, we would like to give you an idea of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Mazda 6. As you have realized, gearbox problems quite often lead to a complete replace of this part. It is hard to give you a precise price because based on the garage area the labour can vary quite a lot and based on your engine the part will as well have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
To get more tips on the Mazda 6, take a look at the Mazda 6 category.