On this page we will try to help you resolve a problem that can be irritating, and if not managed on time become a financial drain. In truth, distinguishing a leak on your car is hardly ever reassuring, and it is even less reassuring when it’s a gearbox leak on your Land Rover Discovery Sport . In this article, we’re going to help you verify that it’s obviously a gearbox leak, then, how to remedy a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, at last, give you an idea of the price of the gearbox of a Land Rover Discovery Sport.
Gearbox leak on Land Rover Discovery Sport, source and manifestation
If you have noticed an oil stain on the ground, you will need to ensure that this leak is obviously coming from the gearbox of your Land Rover Discovery Sport. To do this, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be coming from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once confirmed, here are the possible sources of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s improperly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event that it is cracked or broken
- One of your seals broken
How to repair a gearbox leak on Land Rover Discovery Sport?
After discovering the different sources of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Land Rover Discovery Sport, we will try to show you to you what are your options to remedy this oil leak. Bear in mind that in any case, after having identified a leak, you must go to a garage area to determine the exact source of the leak, in any other case your gearbox might be irreparably broken. Nevertheless, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to determine the leak, the auto mechanic will have to take apart your gearbox, which will involve a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto mechanic will change it and reassemble the gearbox of your Land Rover Discovery Sport, in any other case you’ll have to change the whole gearbox
- At last, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is just powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Land Rover Discovery Sport?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Land Rover Discovery Sport , nevertheless here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this task, please examine our content page on this subject.
- Use a particular additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug slight leaks, you will find some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Land Rover Discovery Sport gearbox
At last, we would like to give you an idea of how much it costs to change the gearbox of a Land Rover Discovery Sport. As you have realized, gearbox problems generally lead to a whole change of this part. It is tricky to give you a precise price because depending on the garage area the labour can vary quite a lot and depending on your engine the component will also have a different price, nevertheless, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the component alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
If you need more tutorials on the Land Rover Discovery Sport, go to our Land Rover Discovery Sport category.