On this page we will try to help you fix a problem that can be frustrating, and if not handled in time become a financial drain. In truth, distinguishing a leak on your car is never reassuring, and it is even less reassuring when it’s a gearbox leak on your GMC Yukon XL . In this article, we’re going to help you verify that it’s indeed a gearbox leak, then, how to remedy a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, at last, give you an indication of the price of the gearbox of a GMC Yukon XL.
Gearbox leak on GMC Yukon XL, origin and manifestation
If you have spotted an oil stain on the ground, you will need to verify that this leak is indeed coming from the gearbox of your GMC Yukon XL. To accomplish this, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be coming from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once verified, here are the possible roots of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s improperly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just equipped on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event it is cracked or broken
- One of your seals broken
How to fix a gearbox leak on GMC Yukon XL?
After discovering the different roots of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your GMC Yukon XL, we will try to describe to you what are your possibilities to remedy this oil leak. Bear in mind that in any case, after having determined a leak, you must go to a mechanic to determine the exact origin of the leak, in any other case your gearbox might be irreparably broken. However, here is how the service of the mechanic and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to determine the leak, the auto mechanic will have to take apart your gearbox, which will require a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto mechanic will change it and reassemble the gearbox of your GMC Yukon XL, in any other case you’ll have to change the whole gearbox
- Finally, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only effective in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your GMC Yukon XL?
There aren’t many alternatives to avoid gearbox leaks on your GMC Yukon XL , however here are the three most effective:
- Frequent oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this task, please read our content on this subject matter.
- Use a particular additive for routine service of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug moderate leaks, you will find some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a GMC Yukon XL gearbox
Finally, we would like to give you an indication of how much it costs to change the gearbox of a GMC Yukon XL. As you have understood, gearbox problems often lead to a whole change of this part. It is difficult to give you a precise price because based on the mechanic the labour can vary quite a lot and based on your engine the part will as well have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
If you have any further questions about the GMC Yukon XL, do not hesitate to consult our GMC Yukon XL category.