On this page we will try to help you resolve a problem that can be annoying, and if not taken on time become a financial drain. In reality, spotting a leak on your car is rarely reassuring, and it is even less calming when it’s a gearbox leak on your Fiat 500 . Today, we’re going to help you verify that it’s in fact a gearbox leak, then, how to repair a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention tips, and, finally, give you an idea of the price of the gearbox of a Fiat 500.
Gearbox leak on Fiat 500, origin and symptom
If you have identified an oil stain on the ground, you will need to verify that this leak is in fact coming from the gearbox of your Fiat 500. To achieve this, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be coming from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once validated, here are the possible origins of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s improperly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event that it is cracked or broken
- One of your seals broken
How to fix a gearbox leak on Fiat 500?
After discovering the different origins of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Fiat 500, we will try to describe to you what are your options to repair this oil leak. Remember that whatever the case, after having founded a leak, you must go to a mechanic to determine the exact origin of the leak, in any other case your gearbox may be irreparably broken. However, here is how the service of the mechanic and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to determine the leak, the technician will have to dismantle your gearbox, which will require a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your technician will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Fiat 500, in any other case you’ll have to replace the whole gearbox
- Finally, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is just powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Fiat 500?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Fiat 500 , nevertheless here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this manipulation, please go through our content page on this subject.
- Use a particular additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug moderate leaks, you will locate some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Fiat 500 gearbox
Finally, we would like to give you an idea of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Fiat 500. As you have understood, gearbox problems generally lead to a whole replace of this part. It is difficult to give you a precise price because depending on the mechanic the labour can vary quite a lot and depending on your engine the part will also have a different price, nevertheless, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
To discover more tips on the Fiat 500, take a look at the Fiat 500 category.