On this page we will try to help you solve a issue that can be annoying, and if not handled on time become a financial drain. Surely, spotting a leak on your vehicle is never reassuring, and it is even less reassuring when it’s a gearbox leak on your Dodge Charger . In this article, we’re going to help you ensure that it’s in fact a gearbox leak, then, how to fix a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, finally, give you an indication of the price of the gearbox of a Dodge Charger.
Gearbox leak on Dodge Charger, origin and symptom
If you have detected an oil stain on the ground, you will need to confirm that this leak is in fact caused by the gearbox of your Dodge Charger. To do this, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be caused by your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once validated, here are the possible origins of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s wrongly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just equipped on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event it is cracked or damaged
- One of your seals damaged
How to repair a gearbox leak on Dodge Charger?
After discovering the different origins of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Dodge Charger, we will try to describe to you what are your possibilities to fix this oil leak. Take note that whatever the case, after having distinguished a leak, you must go to a garage to determine the exact origin of the leak, otherwise your gearbox may be irreparably damaged. However, here is how the service of the garage and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to determine the leak, the mechanic will have to dismantle your gearbox, which will necessitate a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your mechanic will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Dodge Charger, otherwise you’ll have to change the complete gearbox
- Finally, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is just powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Dodge Charger?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Dodge Charger , however here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this action, please examine our content on this subject.
- Use a particular additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug moderate leaks, you will discover some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Dodge Charger gearbox
Finally, we would like to give you an indication of how much it costs to change the gearbox of a Dodge Charger. As you have realized, gearbox problems often lead to a complete change of this part. It is hard to give you a precise price because depending on the garage the labour can vary quite a lot and depending on your engine the component will also have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the component alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
To get more tips on the Dodge Charger, take a look at the Dodge Charger category.