On this page we will try to help you solve a problem that can be frustrating, and if not taken in time become a financial drain. In truth, spotting a leak on your car is rarely reassuring, and it is even less calming when it’s a gearbox leak on your Bmw 1 series . Today, we’re going to help you confirm that it’s obviously a gearbox leak, then, how to repair a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention tips, and, finally, give you an indication of the price of the gearbox of a Bmw 1 series.
Gearbox leak on Bmw 1 series, source and symptom
If you have noticed an oil stain on the ground, you will need to verify that this leak is obviously caused by the gearbox of your Bmw 1 series. To accomplish this, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be caused by your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once verified, here are the possible origins of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s incorrectly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just equipped on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event it is cracked or damaged
- One of your seals damaged
How to repair a gearbox leak on Bmw 1 series?
After discovering the different origins of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Bmw 1 series, we will try to show you to you what are your options to repair this oil leak. Realize that whatever the case, after having determined a leak, you must go to a mechanic to identify the exact source of the leak, otherwise your gearbox might be irreparably damaged. Nevertheless, here is how the service of the mechanic and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to identify the leak, the technician will have to take apart your gearbox, which will require a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your technician will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Bmw 1 series, otherwise you’ll have to replace the complete gearbox
- At last, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is just powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Bmw 1 series?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Bmw 1 series , however here are the three most effective:
- Frequent oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this manipulation, please browse our content page on this subject.
- Use a particular additive for routine service of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and enable to plug moderate leaks, you will find some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Bmw 1 series gearbox
At last, we would like to give you an indication of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Bmw 1 series. As you have understood, gearbox problems quite often lead to a complete replace of this part. It is tricky to give you a precise price because based on the mechanic the labour can vary quite a lot and based on your engine the component will also have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the component alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
To find more tips on the Bmw 1 series, take a look at the Bmw 1 series category.