On this page we will try to help you solve a problem that can be frustrating, and if not managed in time become a financial drain. Obviously, distinguishing a leak on your vehicle is never reassuring, and it is even less calming when it’s a gearbox leak on your Audi A8 . In this article, we’re going to help you verify that it’s obviously a gearbox leak, then, how to repair a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, finally, give you an idea of the price of the gearbox of a Audi A8.
Gearbox leak on Audi A8, origin and manifestation
If you have spotted an oil stain on the ground, you will need to confirm that this leak is obviously coming from the gearbox of your Audi A8. To accomplish this, you will need to go under your vehicle and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be coming from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once verified, here are the possible origins of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s incorrectly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Only equipped on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event it is cracked or broken
- One of your seals broken
How to repair a gearbox leak on Audi A8?
After discovering the different origins of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Audi A8, we will try to describe to you what are your possibilities to repair this oil leak. Take note that whatever the case, after having distinguished a leak, you must go to a mechanic to determine the exact origin of the leak, in any other case your gearbox may be irreparably broken. However, here is how the service of the mechanic and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to determine the leak, the auto mechanic will have to take apart your gearbox, which will involve a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto mechanic will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Audi A8, in any other case you’ll have to replace the whole gearbox
- At last, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Audi A8?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Audi A8 , nevertheless here are the three most effective:
- Frequent oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this manipulation, please examine our article on this subject.
- Use a specific additive for routine service of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug moderate leaks, you will locate some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Audi A8 gearbox
At last, we would like to give you an idea of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Audi A8. As you have realized, gearbox problems often lead to a whole replace of this part. It is hard to give you a precise price because based on the mechanic the labour can vary a lot and based on your engine the part will also have a different price, nevertheless, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
To discover more tips on the Audi A8, take a look at the Audi A8 category.