Whether you wish to have a clean vehicle or you plan to sell your car, cleaning the engine of your Volvo XC60 is an act of maintenance that is not necessarily well handled, between the fear of destroying electronic components or not knowing which products to use… In this post, we will accompany you to carry out this act of maintenance with peace of mind. To do this, first, we will discover why it may be relevant to clean the engine unit of your car, and, in a second step, how to clean the engine unit of your Volvo XC60 .
Why clean the engine of your Volvo XC60?
So we start our article by telling you why it may be wise to reflect on a cleaning of the engine unit block of your Volvo XC60 .
The most common justification for cleaning the engine unit compartment of your car should be regular maintenance. Failing to clean your car will bring about dirt and grime to accumulate and ultimately damage parts of your car. We encourage you to carry out this cleaning between 1 and 2 times a year. It can as well be interesting to clean your engine before selling your Volvo XC60, nevertheless take care not to clean it too much, potential buyers might think that a too clean engine is associated with a leaking engine that tries to be camouflaged by a complete cleaning, better to have a healthy engine unit than a too clean engine.
How to clean the engine unit of your Volvo XC60?
We will now attack the heart of the article with the practical part of cleaning the engine unit block of your Volvo XC60 . For this, in the first part we will concentrate on the preparation to do on your engine unit to perform this act properly, and in a second time, the instructions to enable you to clean the engine compartment of your Volvo XC60.
To prepare the engine of your Volvo XC60 before cleaning it
First step and not the least essential one. Even if your car’s engine compartment is designed to be waterproof, cleaning it thoroughly is not advised either due to the many electrical components inside. Consequently, before you clean the engine of your Volvo XC60 totally, it is better to protect the electrical components of your Volvo XC60 . Here are the steps to take to protect your car’s engine unit correctly:
- Disconnect and remove the battery from your Volvo XC60 , to accomplish this, do not think twice to seek advice from our article dedicated to this subject if you don’t know how to get this done step.
- Take off the upper motor housing of your Volvo XC60 , it’s a plastic cover that can in general be removed by unscrewing a few screws. This will enable you to have an much easier access to the whole engine unit of your car.
- Protect all electrical components with plastic film , stretchable for example, this involves the flowmeter (which is found on your air inlet), the alternator, all electrical cables and the fuse box
Cleaning of the engine unit compartment of a Volvo XC60
Now that you have prepared your car for cleaning, all you have to do is start cleaning it, here are the steps to follow to clean the engine unit of your Volvo XC60 correctly :
- Warm up the engine unit of your car for about 5 minutes, this will make the grease more fluid and help its elimination.
- Use a strong> engine unit degreaser and spray generously on all visible parts of your Volvo XC60 engine unit.
- Let it work for five to ten minutes.
- Do not use a high-pressure cleaner, as this may damage elements of your engine unit. So use a garden hose and rise with a lot of water.
- If you are satisfied with the end result, you can dry your engine unit with a compressor, if there are traces of grease remaining, you can repeat the operation until it disappears.
- Last little piece of suggestions, if you want and have the budget, you can apply a layer of motor protection, this will prevent the accumulation of dirt on the engine unit of your Volvo XC60, you will locate this kind of product in specialized retailers or in the category of products for boat motors
All you have to do is clean the work area, refit your engine crankcase, reconnect your battery and you’ll have the ability to get back on the road with a clean engine unit.
To find more tips on the Volvo XC60, take a look at the Volvo XC60 category.