More and more car owners are trying to maintain their cars on their own. This outcomes in substantial cost savings because modern cars require more and more maintenance and are made up of more and more technical parts that lead to new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the problems that affects more and more Volkswagen Routan owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will bring about a loss of power and black exhaust gases. Today we are going to take a look at how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Volkswagen Routan? . First, we will show you how your mass airflow sensor operates and its usefulness, second, why it may be important to clean this sensor , and at last, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Volkswagen Routan .
Utility and operation of the mass air flow meter of a Volkswagen Routan
So we begin our content with the procedure and aim of your Volkswagen Routan flowmeter.
The intent of the mass air flow sensor on Volkswagen Routan
The mass air flow sensor is a component that has been created quite not long ago and specifically outfitted on diesel models. Indeed, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is therefore necessary for the ECU to know the exact volume of air added into the engine to change the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Volkswagen Routan, do not hesitate to consult our content on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Volkswagen Routan
Now, we are going to have a look at how it operates, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Volkswagen Routan , you must already find out how it functions to do this maintenance work correctly.
The mass air flow sensor is therefore specifically there to get info on the air intake of your motor vehicle. To get this done, it must be installed just after the air intake of your Volkswagen Routan, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe outfitted with a sensor that will analyze the air in the intake and transmit the info to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Volkswagen Routan?
The mass air flow sensor of your Volkswagen Routan can have problems and this is what we will try to find out and discover what problems you may be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor problems Volkswagen Routan
Here are the different problems that the air flow sensor of your Volkswagen Routan can bring about:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will necessarily lead to excessive fuel consumption because of poor air flow…
- Power loss: Linked to similar issue, this lack of air can bring about a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the vehicle: Finally, one of the last traditional problems connected to a dirty flowmeter will be that your Volkswagen Routan will have more difficulties to begin the vehicle.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Volkswagen Routan?
After reviewing the operation and concerns that the flowmeter can bring about, we will look at how to resolve these problems by showing to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Volkswagen Routan . You should know that this procedure is quite simple to accomplish and you will not need advanced mechanical skills to do it yourself, a good method to avoid a trip to the garage and a steep bill. Discover down below the different steps to follow to accomplish this maintenance act:
- After having located the mass air flow sensor of your Volkswagen Routan , you will have to dismantle it. To get this done, work delicately, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and disconnect the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once taken apart, you will have the ability to carry on to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Volkswagen Routan . This sensor will, as time passes, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer have the ability to collect data correctly, it is in this sense that it will affect the operation of the engine unit of your Volkswagen Routan. The intent of this cleaning will be to take out all its impure substances to enable it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower part of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will take out most of the grime
- Now we’ll proceed to the very delicate cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very careful, otherwise your mass air flow sensor will be permanently damaged. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, delicately clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of destroying it, you can also clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Volkswagen Routan , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine unit.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Volkswagen Routan, do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Routan category.