More and more motorists are trying to maintain their cars on their own. This results in considerable cost savings because contemporary cars require more and more maintenance and are made up of more and more technical parts that result in new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the problems that disturbs more and more Nissan Frontier owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will bring about a loss of power and black exhaust gases. In this article we are going to take a look at how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Nissan Frontier? . First, we will show you how your mass airflow sensor works and its usefulness, second, why it may be important to clean this sensor , and at last, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Nissan Frontier .
Utility and operation of the mass air flow meter of a Nissan Frontier
So we start our content page with the operation and goal of your Nissan Frontier flowmeter.
The aim of the mass air flow sensor on Nissan Frontier
The mass air flow sensor is a part that has been created quite lately and mainly equipped on diesel models. Indeed, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is therefore important for the ECU to know the exact volume of air injected into the engine to change the actions of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Nissan Frontier, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content page on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Nissan Frontier
Now, we are going to have a look at how it works, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Nissan Frontier , you must already figure out how it functions to do this maintenance work accurately.
The mass air flow sensor is consequently mainly there to collect data on the air intake of your motor vehicle. To do this, it must be set up just after the air intake of your Nissan Frontier, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe equipped with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transfer the data to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Nissan Frontier?
The mass air flow sensor of your Nissan Frontier can have problems and this is what we will try to find out and understand what problems you may be facing!
Mass air flow sensor problems Nissan Frontier
Here are the different problems that the air flow sensor of your Nissan Frontier can bring about:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will actually result in excessive fuel consumption due to poor air flow…
- Power loss: Related to similar issue, this lack of air can bring about a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the automobile: Finally, one of the last traditional problems connected with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Nissan Frontier will have more difficulties to start the vehicle.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Nissan Frontier?
After examining the operation and complications that the flowmeter can bring about, we will look at how to resolve these problems by describing to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Nissan Frontier . You should know that this process is quite simple to perform and you will not need advanced mechanical expertise to do it your self, a good technique to avoid a trip to the garage area and a steep bill. Discover down below the different steps to follow to perform this maintenance act:
- After having located the mass air flow sensor of your Nissan Frontier , you will have to dismantle it. To do this, work delicately, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and disconnect the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once taken apart, you will be able to continue to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Nissan Frontier . This sensor will, with time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer be able to collect data accurately, it is in this sense that it will affect the operation of the engine of your Nissan Frontier. The aim of this cleaning will be to take out all its impurities to allow it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower section of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will take out most of the grime
- Now we’ll move on to the very gentle cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very cautious, otherwise your mass air flow sensor will be permanently damaged. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, delicately clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of destroying it, you can as well clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Nissan Frontier , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine.
If you want more tutorials on the Nissan Frontier, go to our Nissan Frontier category.