More and more car owners are trying to maintain their vehicles on their own. This outcomes in significant cost savings because modern cars necessitate more and more routine service and are made up of more and more technical components that lead to new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the problems that disturbs more and more Mini Cooper owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will lead to a loss of power and black exhaust fumes. Today we are going to check out how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mini Cooper? . First, we will teach you how your mass airflow sensor works and its usefulness, second, why it might be relevant to clean this sensor , and finally, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Mini Cooper .
Utility and action of the mass air flow meter of a Mini Cooper
So we start our content with the procedure and purpose of your Mini Cooper flowmeter.
The intent of the mass air flow sensor on Mini Cooper
The mass air flow sensor is a component that has been developed actually quite recently and mainly outfitted on diesel models. Obviously, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is so important for the ECU to know the exact volume of air loaded into the engine to modify the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Mini Cooper, do not hesitate to consult our content on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Mini Cooper
Now, we are going to have a look at how it works, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mini Cooper , you must already understand how it functions to do this routine service action accurately.
The mass air flow sensor is therefore mainly there to get info on the air intake of your car. To achieve this, it must be fitted just after the air intake of your Mini Cooper, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe outfitted with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transfer the info to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Mini Cooper?
The mass air flow sensor of your Mini Cooper can have problems and this is what we will try to discover and discover what problems you might be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor problems Mini Cooper
Here are the different problems that the air flow sensor of your Mini Cooper can trigger:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will necessarily lead to excessive fuel consumption caused by poor air flow…
- Power loss: Related to similar issue, this lack of air can trigger a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the automobile: Finally, one of the last classic problems associated with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Mini Cooper will have more difficulties to start the vehicle.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Mini Cooper?
After examining the operation and problems that the flowmeter can trigger, we will look at how to resolve these problems by explaining to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mini Cooper . You should know that this operation is actually quite very easy to conduct and you will not need advanced mechanical skills to do it yourself, a good technique to avoid a trip to the garage area and a steep bill. See below the different steps to stick to to conduct this routine service act:
- After having based the mass air flow sensor of your Mini Cooper , you will have to dismantle it. To achieve this, action delicately, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and disconnect the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once disassembled, you will have the ability to proceed to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Mini Cooper . This sensor will, over time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer have the ability to collect data accurately, it is in this sense that it will disturb the operation of the engine unit of your Mini Cooper. The intent of this cleaning will be to remove all its harmful particles to enable it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower section of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will remove most of the grime
- Now we’ll proceed to the very delicate cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very watchful, otherwise your mass air flow sensor will be permanently damaged. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, delicately clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of harming it, you can as well clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mini Cooper , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine unit.
If you have any additional questions about the Mini Cooper, do not hesitate to consult our Mini Cooper category.