More and more motorists are trying to take care of their cars on their own. This outcomes in considerable cost savings because modern cars require more and more maintenance and are done up of more and more technical parts that lead to new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the problems that disturbs more and more Mercury Milan owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will end in a loss of power and black exhaust gases. Today we are going to examine how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mercury Milan? . First, we will show you how your mass airflow sensor operates and its value, second, why it might be important to clean this sensor , and at last, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Mercury Milan .
Utility and action of the mass air flow meter of a Mercury Milan
So we start our content page with the process and point of your Mercury Milan flowmeter.
The goal of the mass air flow sensor on Mercury Milan
The mass air flow sensor is a part that has been developed actually quite recently and mainly outfitted on diesel models. In actual fact, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is therefore necessary for the ECU to know the exact volume of air added into the engine to adapt the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Mercury Milan, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content page on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Mercury Milan
Now, we are going to examine how it operates, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mercury Milan , you must already figure out how it works to achieve this maintenance act correctly.
The mass air flow sensor is consequently mainly there to collect info on the air intake of your car. To achieve this, it must be installed just after the air intake of your Mercury Milan, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe outfitted with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transmit the info to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Mercury Milan?
The mass air flow sensor of your Mercury Milan can have problems and this is what we will try to see and discover what problems you might be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor problems Mercury Milan
Here are the different problems that the air flow sensor of your Mercury Milan can generate:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will actually bring about excessive fuel consumption because of poor air flow…
- Power loss: Associated with the same problem, this lack of air can generate a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the car: Finally, one of the last classic problems linked to a dirty flowmeter will be that your Mercury Milan will have more difficulties to start the car.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Mercury Milan?
After going over the operation and problems that the flowmeter can generate, we will look at how to fix these problems by showing to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mercury Milan . You should know that this operation is actually quite simple to conduct and you will not need advanced mechanical skills to do it your self, a good method to avoid a trip to the mechanic and a steep bill. Discover below the different steps to follow to conduct this maintenance act:
- After having found the mass air flow sensor of your Mercury Milan , you will have to dismantle it. To achieve this, act gently, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and disconnect the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once disassembled, you will be able to carry on to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Mercury Milan . This sensor will, with time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer be able to collect data correctly, it is in this sense that it will disturb the operation of the engine of your Mercury Milan. The goal of this cleaning will be to take out all its impure substances to allow it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower part of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will take out most of the grime
- Now we’ll proceed to the very gentle cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very careful, in any other case your mass air flow sensor will be permanently damaged. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, gently clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of destroying it, you can as well clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mercury Milan , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Mercury Milan, do not hesitate to consult our Mercury Milan category.