More and more drivers are trying to maintain their vehicles by themselves. This outcomes in substantial savings because modern cars require more and more routine service and are made up of more and more technical parts that result in new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the complications that affects more and more Mercedes Classe C 4 owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will end in a loss of power and black exhaust fumes. Today we are going to take a look at how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mercedes Classe C 4? . First, we will show you how your mass airflow sensor works and its advantages, second, why it might be relevant to clean this sensor , and finally, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Mercedes Classe C 4 .
Utility and operation of the mass air flow meter of a Mercedes Classe C 4
So we start our article with the process and role of your Mercedes Classe C 4 flowmeter.
The intent of the mass air flow sensor on Mercedes Classe C 4
The mass air flow sensor is a part that has been created quite not long ago and mainly equipped on diesel models. In truth, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is consequently essential for the ECU to know the exact volume of air loaded into the engine to modify the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Mercedes Classe C 4, do not hesitate to seek advice from our article on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Mercedes Classe C 4
Now, we are going to take a look at how it works, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mercedes Classe C 4 , you must already figure out how it works to achieve this routine service work accurately.
The mass air flow sensor is therefore mainly there to get data on the air intake of your motor vehicle. To get this done, it must be fitted just after the air intake of your Mercedes Classe C 4, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe equipped with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transfer the data to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Mercedes Classe C 4?
The mass air flow sensor of your Mercedes Classe C 4 can have complications and this is what we will try to find out and figure out what complications you might be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor complications Mercedes Classe C 4
Here are the different complications that the air flow sensor of your Mercedes Classe C 4 can bring about:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will necessarily result in higher fuel consumption due to poor air flow…
- Power loss: Related to the same problem, this lack of air can bring about a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the vehicle: Finally, one of the last classic complications connected with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Mercedes Classe C 4 will have more troubles to start the car.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Mercedes Classe C 4?
After going over the operation and problems that the flowmeter can bring about, we will look at how to fix these complications by explaining to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mercedes Classe C 4 . You should know that this operation is quite basic to execute and you will not need advanced mechanical expertise to do it yourself, a good method to avoid a trip to the workshop and a steep bill. See down below the different steps to stick to to execute this routine service act:
- After having located the mass air flow sensor of your Mercedes Classe C 4 , you will have to dismantle it. To get this done, work gently, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and detach the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once disassembled, you will be able to carry on to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Mercedes Classe C 4 . This sensor will, over time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer be able to collect data accurately, it is in this sense that it will disrupt the operation of the engine of your Mercedes Classe C 4. The intent of this cleaning will be to take out all its impure substances to enable it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower section of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will take out most of the grime
- Now we’ll move on to the very delicate cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very watchful, otherwise your mass air flow sensor will be permanently broken. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, gently clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of harming it, you can as well clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Mercedes Classe C 4 , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine.
To find more tips on the Mercedes Classe C 4, take a look at the Mercedes Classe C 4 category.