More and more motorists are trying to take care of their vehicles on their own. This outcomes in considerable cost savings because contemporary cars require more and more maintenance and are done up of more and more technical parts that result in new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the complications that impacts more and more Jeep Patriot owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will lead to a loss of power and black exhaust fumes. In this article we are going to check out how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Jeep Patriot? . First, we will teach you how your mass airflow sensor operates and its usefulness, second, why it may be important to clean this sensor , and finally, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Jeep Patriot .
Utility and action of the mass air flow meter of a Jeep Patriot
So we start our content page with the procedure and intent of your Jeep Patriot flowmeter.
The aim of the mass air flow sensor on Jeep Patriot
The mass air flow sensor is a part that has been created actually quite not too long ago and mainly outfitted on diesel models. In truth, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is consequently necessary for the ECU to know the exact volume of air loaded into the engine to modify the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Jeep Patriot, do not think twice to consult our content page on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Jeep Patriot
Now, we are going to look at how it operates, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Jeep Patriot , you must already understand how it works to do this maintenance work accurately.
The mass air flow sensor is consequently mainly there to obtain info on the air intake of your motor vehicle. To get this done, it must be installed just after the air intake of your Jeep Patriot, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe outfitted with a sensor that will analyze the air in the intake and transfer the info to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Jeep Patriot?
The mass air flow sensor of your Jeep Patriot can have complications and this is what we will try to discover and understand what complications you may be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor complications Jeep Patriot
Here are the different complications that the air flow sensor of your Jeep Patriot can provoke:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will necessarily end in excessive fuel consumption due to poor air flow…
- Power loss: Associated with the same issue, this lack of air can provoke a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the vehicle: Finally, one of the last classic complications associated with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Jeep Patriot will have more issues to start the vehicle.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Jeep Patriot?
After going over the operation and complications that the flowmeter can provoke, we will look at how to resolve these complications by explaining to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Jeep Patriot . You should know that this operation is actually quite very easy to perform and you will not need advanced mechanical expertise to do it your self, a good technique to avoid a trip to the garage and a steep bill. See down below the different steps to follow to perform this maintenance act:
- After having found the mass air flow sensor of your Jeep Patriot , you will have to dismantle it. To get this done, work gently, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and detach the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once taken apart, you will have the ability to move forward to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Jeep Patriot . This sensor will, as time passes, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer have the ability to collect data accurately, it is in this sense that it will disturb the operation of the engine unit of your Jeep Patriot. The aim of this cleaning will be to remove all its harmful particles to allow it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower section of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will remove most of the grime
- Now we’ll proceed to the very delicate cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very watchful, otherwise your mass air flow sensor will be permanently broken. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, gently clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of damaging it, you can also clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Jeep Patriot , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine unit.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Jeep Patriot, do not hesitate to consult our Jeep Patriot category.