More and more car owners are trying to take care of their vehicles on their own. This outcomes in considerable cost savings because modern cars require more and more maintenance and are made up of more and more technical parts that lead to new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the problems that disturbs more and more Hyundai Elantra owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will end in a loss of power and black exhaust gases. In this article we are going to check out how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Hyundai Elantra? . First, we will explain how your mass airflow sensor operates and its usefulness, second, why it may be important to clean this sensor , and finally, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Hyundai Elantra .
Utility and operation of the mass air flow meter of a Hyundai Elantra
So we begin our article with the procedure and intent of your Hyundai Elantra flowmeter.
The goal of the mass air flow sensor on Hyundai Elantra
The mass air flow sensor is a component that has been created actually quite not long ago and specifically equipped on diesel models. In fact, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is consequently necessary for the ECU to know the exact volume of air loaded into the engine to change the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Hyundai Elantra, do not hesitate to consult our article on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Hyundai Elantra
Now, we are going to check out how it operates, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Hyundai Elantra , you must already find out how it functions to achieve this maintenance work correctly.
The mass air flow sensor is therefore specifically there to obtain statistics on the air intake of your car. To get this done, it must be set up just after the air intake of your Hyundai Elantra, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe equipped with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transmit the statistics to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Hyundai Elantra?
The mass air flow sensor of your Hyundai Elantra can have problems and this is what we will try to find out and figure out what problems you may be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor problems Hyundai Elantra
Here are the different problems that the air flow sensor of your Hyundai Elantra can generate:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will necessarily result in excessive fuel consumption due to poor air flow…
- Power loss: Related to the same issue, this lack of air can generate a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the car: Finally, one of the last traditional problems connected with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Hyundai Elantra will have more difficulties to begin the car.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Hyundai Elantra?
After reviewing the operation and complications that the flowmeter can generate, we will look at how to fix these problems by showing to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Hyundai Elantra . You should know that this procedure is actually quite very easy to perform and you will not need advanced mechanical expertise to do it yourself, a good method to avoid a trip to the garage area and a steep bill. Discover down below the different steps to follow to perform this maintenance act:
- After having found the mass air flow sensor of your Hyundai Elantra , you will have to dismantle it. To get this done, work delicately, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and detach the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once taken apart, you will be able to carry on to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Hyundai Elantra . This sensor will, over time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer be able to collect data correctly, it is in this sense that it will disrupt the operation of the engine unit of your Hyundai Elantra. The goal of this cleaning will be to take out all its harmful particles to enable it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower section of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will take out most of the grime
- Now we’ll move on to the very delicate cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very careful, in any other case your mass air flow sensor will be permanently broken. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, delicately clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of damaging it, you can also clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Hyundai Elantra , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine unit.
If you have any additional questions about the Hyundai Elantra, do not hesitate to consult our Hyundai Elantra category.