More and more drivers are trying to maintain their cars by themselves. This outcomes in considerable cost savings because contemporary cars necessitate more and more maintenance and are done up of more and more technical parts that lead to new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the problems that impacts more and more Ford F 550 owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will result in a loss of power and black exhaust gases. Today we are going to look at how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Ford F 550? . First, we will describe how your mass airflow sensor functions and its value, second, why it may be relevant to clean this sensor , and finally, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Ford F 550 .
Utility and action of the mass air flow meter of a Ford F 550
So we begin our content page with the procedure and role of your Ford F 550 flowmeter.
The purpose of the mass air flow sensor on Ford F 550
The mass air flow sensor is a part that has been developed quite not too long ago and principally equipped on diesel models. In fact, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is therefore necessary for the ECU to know the exact volume of air injected into the engine to adapt the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Ford F 550, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content page on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Ford F 550
Now, we are going to check out how it functions, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Ford F 550 , you must already find out how it works to do this maintenance act correctly.
The mass air flow sensor is therefore principally there to obtain statistics on the air intake of your motor vehicle. To achieve this, it must be installed just after the air intake of your Ford F 550, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe equipped with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transmit the statistics to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Ford F 550?
The mass air flow sensor of your Ford F 550 can have problems and this is what we will try to find out and figure out what problems you may be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor problems Ford F 550
Here are the different problems that the air flow sensor of your Ford F 550 can generate:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will actually bring about more significant fuel consumption because of poor air flow…
- Power loss: Related to similar problem, this lack of air can generate a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the automobile: Finally, one of the last classic problems associated with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Ford F 550 will have more issues to begin the vehicle.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Ford F 550?
After examining the operation and complications that the flowmeter can generate, we will look at how to fix these problems by showing to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Ford F 550 . You should know that this operation is quite very easy to carry out and you will not need advanced mechanical expertise to do it your self, a good way to avoid a trip to the garage and a steep bill. Discover down below the different steps to follow to carry out this maintenance act:
- After having found the mass air flow sensor of your Ford F 550 , you will have to dismantle it. To achieve this, act gently, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and disconnect the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once taken apart, you will be able to carry on to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Ford F 550 . This sensor will, over time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer be able to collect data correctly, it is in this sense that it will affect the operation of the engine unit of your Ford F 550. The purpose of this cleaning will be to take out all its impurities to enable it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower part of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will take out most of the grime
- Now we’ll proceed to the very delicate cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very watchful, in any other case your mass air flow sensor will be permanently damaged. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, gently clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of damaging it, you can also clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Ford F 550 , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine unit.
If you need more tutorials on the Ford F 550, go to our Ford F 550 category.