More and more motorists are trying to take care of their cars on their own. This results in significant savings because contemporary cars involve more and more routine service and are done up of more and more technical parts that result in new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the complications that impacts more and more Fiat Punto owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will end in a loss of power and black exhaust fumes. In this article we are going to take a look at how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Fiat Punto? . First, we will show you how your mass airflow sensor functions and its advantages, second, why it may be important to clean this sensor , and finally, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Fiat Punto .
Utility and operation of the mass air flow meter of a Fiat Punto
So we start our content page with the process and purpose of your Fiat Punto flowmeter.
The purpose of the mass air flow sensor on Fiat Punto
The mass air flow sensor is a component that has been developed actually quite not long ago and mainly outfitted on diesel models. In fact, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is consequently essential for the ECU to know the exact volume of air injected into the engine to adapt the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Fiat Punto, do not hesitate to consult our content page on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Fiat Punto
Now, we are going to examine how it functions, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Fiat Punto , you must already find out how it works to do this routine service work correctly.
The mass air flow sensor is consequently mainly there to obtain data on the air intake of your motor vehicle. To do this, it must be set up just after the air intake of your Fiat Punto, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe outfitted with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transmit the data to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Fiat Punto?
The mass air flow sensor of your Fiat Punto can have complications and this is what we will try to find out and figure out what complications you may be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor complications Fiat Punto
Here are the different complications that the air flow sensor of your Fiat Punto can bring about:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will actually bring about excessive fuel consumption due to poor air flow…
- Power loss: Related to similar problem, this lack of air can bring about a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the automobile: Finally, one of the last traditional complications connected to a dirty flowmeter will be that your Fiat Punto will have more troubles to start the vehicle.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Fiat Punto?
After examining the operation and complications that the flowmeter can bring about, we will look at how to fix these complications by showing to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Fiat Punto . You should know that this process is actually quite simple to accomplish and you will not need advanced mechanical skills to do it yourself, a good way to avoid a trip to the mechanic and a steep bill. Discover down below the different steps to follow to accomplish this routine service act:
- After having found the mass air flow sensor of your Fiat Punto , you will have to dismantle it. To do this, work delicately, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and disconnect the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once taken apart, you will be able to carry on to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Fiat Punto . This sensor will, with time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer be able to collect data correctly, it is in this sense that it will affect the operation of the engine unit of your Fiat Punto. The purpose of this cleaning will be to remove all its harmful particles to allow it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower part of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will remove most of the grime
- Now we’ll move on to the very gentle cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very watchful, in any other case your mass air flow sensor will be permanently broken. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, delicately clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of damaging it, you can as well clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Fiat Punto , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine unit.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Fiat Punto, do not hesitate to consult our Fiat Punto category.