More and more car owners are trying to maintain their vehicles by themselves. This results in substantial savings because contemporary cars necessitate more and more maintenance and are done up of more and more technical parts that lead to new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the problems that affects more and more Dodge Grand Caravan owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will end in a loss of power and black exhaust gases. In this article we are going to examine how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Grand Caravan? . First, we will describe how your mass airflow sensor operates and its value, second, why it may be important to clean this sensor , and at last, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Dodge Grand Caravan .
Utility and operation of the mass air flow meter of a Dodge Grand Caravan
So we start our content with the procedure and goal of your Dodge Grand Caravan flowmeter.
The aim of the mass air flow sensor on Dodge Grand Caravan
The mass air flow sensor is a part that has been developed quite recently and principally supplied on diesel models. Indeed, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is so important for the ECU to know the exact volume of air loaded into the engine to adapt the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Dodge Grand Caravan, do not think twice to seek advice from our content on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Dodge Grand Caravan
Now, we are going to look at how it operates, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Grand Caravan , you must already understand how it functions to do this maintenance work accurately.
The mass air flow sensor is consequently principally there to collect info on the air intake of your car. To achieve this, it must be mounted just after the air intake of your Dodge Grand Caravan, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe supplied with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transmit the info to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Dodge Grand Caravan?
The mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Grand Caravan can have problems and this is what we will try to see and understand what problems you may be facing!
Mass air flow sensor problems Dodge Grand Caravan
Here are the different problems that the air flow sensor of your Dodge Grand Caravan can cause:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will actually result in higher fuel consumption due to poor air flow…
- Power loss: Related to similar problem, this lack of air can cause a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the vehicle: Finally, one of the last classic problems associated with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Dodge Grand Caravan will have more difficulties to start the car.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Dodge Grand Caravan?
After reviewing the operation and complications that the flowmeter can cause, we will look at how to fix these problems by showing to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Grand Caravan . You should know that this operation is quite basic to perform and you will not need advanced mechanical skills to do it your self, a good method to avoid a trip to the garage and a steep bill. See below the different steps to stick to to perform this maintenance act:
- After having located the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Grand Caravan , you will have to dismantle it. To achieve this, work delicately, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and disconnect the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once disassembled, you will be able to continue to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Grand Caravan . This sensor will, with time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer be able to collect data accurately, it is in this sense that it will disrupt the operation of the engine of your Dodge Grand Caravan. The aim of this cleaning will be to remove all its impure substances to allow it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower part of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will remove most of the grime
- Now we’ll proceed to the very delicate cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very careful, otherwise your mass air flow sensor will be permanently damaged. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, delicately clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of destroying it, you can as well clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Grand Caravan , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine.
To find more tips on the Dodge Grand Caravan, take a look at the Dodge Grand Caravan category.