More and more car owners are trying to take care of their vehicles on their own. This results in substantial cost savings because modern cars require more and more routine service and are made up of more and more technical components that result in new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the complications that affects more and more Dodge Charger owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will lead to a loss of power and black exhaust fumes. Today we are going to look at how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Charger? . First, we will teach you how your mass airflow sensor functions and its advantages, second, why it may be relevant to clean this sensor , and at last, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Dodge Charger .
Utility and operation of the mass air flow meter of a Dodge Charger
So we start our content page with the process and purpose of your Dodge Charger flowmeter.
The purpose of the mass air flow sensor on Dodge Charger
The mass air flow sensor is a part that has been developed quite lately and mainly equipped on diesel models. In actual fact, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is therefore necessary for the ECU to know the exact volume of air added into the engine to adapt the actions of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Dodge Charger, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content page on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Dodge Charger
Now, we are going to check out how it functions, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Charger , you must already find out how it works to do this routine service action properly.
The mass air flow sensor is consequently mainly there to collect info on the air intake of your motor vehicle. To get this done, it must be installed just after the air intake of your Dodge Charger, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe equipped with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transfer the info to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Dodge Charger?
The mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Charger can have complications and this is what we will try to see and understand what complications you may be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor complications Dodge Charger
Here are the different complications that the air flow sensor of your Dodge Charger can provoke:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will actually lead to more significant fuel consumption because of poor air flow…
- Power loss: Associated with the same issue, this lack of air can provoke a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the automobile: Finally, one of the last classic complications connected to a dirty flowmeter will be that your Dodge Charger will have more troubles to start the vehicle.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Dodge Charger?
After going over the operation and problems that the flowmeter can provoke, we will look at how to resolve these complications by explaining to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Charger . You should know that this procedure is quite basic to execute and you will not need advanced mechanical skills to do it your self, a good method to avoid a trip to the garage and a steep bill. Discover down below the different steps to follow to execute this routine service act:
- After having located the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Charger , you will have to dismantle it. To get this done, action gently, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and disconnect the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once taken apart, you will be able to move forward to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Charger . This sensor will, over time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer be able to collect data properly, it is in this sense that it will affect the operation of the engine unit of your Dodge Charger. The purpose of this cleaning will be to remove all its harmful particles to enable it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower section of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will remove most of the grime
- Now we’ll move on to the very gentle cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very cautious, in any other case your mass air flow sensor will be permanently damaged. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, gently clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of destroying it, you can as well clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Dodge Charger , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine unit.
If you need more tutorials on the Dodge Charger, go to our Dodge Charger category.