More and more car owners are trying to take care of their cars by themselves. This outcomes in substantial cost savings because contemporary cars require more and more routine service and are done up of more and more technical parts that result in new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the problems that disturbs more and more Audi A2 owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will end in a loss of power and black exhaust fumes. Today we are going to examine how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Audi A2? . First, we will explain how your mass airflow sensor works and its advantages, second, why it might be important to clean this sensor , and at last, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Audi A2 .
Utility and action of the mass air flow meter of a Audi A2
So we begin our article with the process and purpose of your Audi A2 flowmeter.
The purpose of the mass air flow sensor on Audi A2
The mass air flow sensor is a part that has been created quite lately and principally outfitted on diesel models. Obviously, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is consequently important for the ECU to know the exact volume of air injected into the engine to adapt the actions of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Audi A2, do not hesitate to seek advice from our article on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Audi A2
Now, we are going to look at how it works, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Audi A2 , you must already find out how it functions to do this routine service act correctly.
The mass air flow sensor is therefore principally there to collect statistics on the air intake of your motor vehicle. To achieve this, it must be fitted just after the air intake of your Audi A2, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe outfitted with a sensor that will analyze the air in the intake and transmit the statistics to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Audi A2?
The mass air flow sensor of your Audi A2 can have problems and this is what we will try to discover and figure out what problems you might be facing!
Mass air flow sensor problems Audi A2
Here are the different problems that the air flow sensor of your Audi A2 can generate:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will actually result in more significant fuel consumption caused by poor air flow…
- Power loss: Related to similar issue, this lack of air can generate a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the car: Finally, one of the last traditional problems associated with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Audi A2 will have more issues to begin the vehicle.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Audi A2?
After looking at the operation and concerns that the flowmeter can generate, we will look at how to solve these problems by explaining to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Audi A2 . You should know that this process is quite very easy to perform and you will not need advanced mechanical skills to do it yourself, a good method to avoid a trip to the garage area and a steep bill. See below the different steps to follow to perform this routine service act:
- After having found the mass air flow sensor of your Audi A2 , you will have to dismantle it. To achieve this, act delicately, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and disconnect the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once disassembled, you will be able to carry on to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Audi A2 . This sensor will, with time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer be able to collect data correctly, it is in this sense that it will disturb the operation of the engine unit of your Audi A2. The purpose of this cleaning will be to take out all its impure substances to allow it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower section of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will take out most of the grime
- Now we’ll move on to the very gentle cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very careful, otherwise your mass air flow sensor will be permanently damaged. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, delicately clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of damaging it, you can as well clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Audi A2 , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine unit.
If you wish more guides on the Audi A2, go to our Audi A2 category.