More and more car owners are trying to maintain their vehicles by themselves. This outcomes in substantial cost savings because modern cars involve more and more maintenance and are done up of more and more technical parts that result in new breakdowns or inconveniences. One of the complications that disturbs more and more Acura MDX owners is a clogged air flow meter, which will result in a loss of power and black exhaust fumes. In this article we are going to examine how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Acura MDX? . First, we will show you how your mass airflow sensor works and its value, second, why it may be important to clean this sensor , and finally, how to clean the mass air flow sensor of a Acura MDX .
Utility and operation of the mass air flow meter of a Acura MDX
So we begin our article with the procedure and role of your Acura MDX flowmeter.
The goal of the mass air flow sensor on Acura MDX
The mass air flow sensor is a component that has been developed actually quite recently and mainly supplied on diesel models. Obviously, with injection engines, the fuel and air intake has become very precise and it is therefore necessary for the ECU to know the exact volume of air injected into the engine to change the behaviour of complementary intake parts such as the injection or the EGR valve, if you have problems with the EGR valve on your Acura MDX, do not think twice to consult our article on this subject.
Mass air flow sensor operation on Acura MDX
Now, we are going to have a look at how it works, before trying to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Acura MDX , you must already understand how it works to achieve this maintenance work correctly.
The mass air flow sensor is therefore mainly there to get data on the air intake of your car. To achieve this, it must be installed just after the air intake of your Acura MDX, i. e. just after the air filter. It is a pipe supplied with a sensor that will review the air in the intake and transfer the data to the ECU of your car.
Why clean the mass air flow sensor of a Acura MDX?
The mass air flow sensor of your Acura MDX can have complications and this is what we will try to see and discover what complications you may be struggling with!
Mass air flow sensor complications Acura MDX
Here are the different complications that the air flow sensor of your Acura MDX can generate:
- higher fuel consumption: Because a dirty flow meter will actually result in excessive fuel consumption caused by poor air flow…
- Power loss: Related to similar problem, this lack of air can generate a loss of power to your engine.
- Difficulties starting the car: Finally, one of the last traditional complications connected with a dirty flowmeter will be that your Acura MDX will have more issues to begin the vehicle.
How do I clean the mass air flow sensor from a Acura MDX?
After reviewing the operation and problems that the flowmeter can generate, we will look at how to resolve these complications by describing to you how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Acura MDX . You should know that this procedure is actually quite very easy to carry out and you will not need advanced mechanical skills to do it yourself, a good method to avoid a trip to the garage and a steep bill. See below the different steps to stick to to carry out this maintenance act:
- After having located the mass air flow sensor of your Acura MDX , you will have to dismantle it. To achieve this, work gently, but you will just have to disassemble it on both sides of the air duct and detach the electrical plug on top of it.
- Once taken apart, you will have the ability to move forward to the step cleaning the mass air flow sensor of your Acura MDX . This sensor will, with time, get dirty and its two “filaments” that will give information to your computer on the quality and temperature of the air will no longer have the ability to collect data correctly, it is in this sense that it will disrupt the operation of the engine unit of your Acura MDX. The goal of this cleaning will be to take out all its harmful particles to allow it to work efficiently again.
- Let soak the lower part of your mass air flow sensor (not the plug part) in acetone or another solvent for a few minutes , which will take out most of the grime
- Now we’ll proceed to the very gentle cleaning of the flow meter filaments. You have to be very watchful, in any other case your mass air flow sensor will be permanently broken. With the help of a fine brush and solvent, gently clean the two filaments of your mass air flow sensor . If you are too afraid of damaging it, you can also clean them with a brake fluid in the form of an aerosol by spraying the jet on these filaments.
Now you know how to clean the mass air flow sensor of your Acura MDX , you should feel a noticeable difference in the behavior of your engine unit.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Acura MDX, do not hesitate to consult our Acura MDX category.