A catalytic converter is a vital component of contemporary cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus meets modern pollution specifications. However, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or breakdown, in which circumstance a replace or cleaning is important. Today we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Volkswagen T-roc? To achieve this, first of all, we will describe the scenarios in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Volkswagen T-roc, then, how to perform this cleaning to retrieve the performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Volkswagen T-roc?
In this first part we will describe why it might be necessary to clean the catalyst of your Volkswagen T-roc . Indeed for some of you it might seem logical but most of you do not understand how it works and the results dirty catalytic converter .
Role and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Volkswagen T-roc
The catalytic converter of your Volkswagen T-roc has the task to eliminate harmful exhaust fumes associated with the procedure of your engine unit. Indeed, it is one of the main parts that fight against the pollution discharged by your Volkswagen T-roc. It will convert these harmful gases into water or non-polluting fumes. In order to convert these gases, the catalyst of your Volkswagen T-roc a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is consequently important to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Volkswagen T-roc. If you are thinking of making enough long journeys to heat it up frequently (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimise the life of this part and maintain ideal engine unit effectiveness.
Consequences of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Volkswagen T-roc
We will now discover what can be the results of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Volkswagen T-roc . This will enable you to establish the symptoms that should notify you to a failure of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Volkswagen T-roc is clogged: As we said earlier, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Volkswagen T-roc may come on, do not hesitate to consult our article to find out how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will often as well have problems.
- A metallic noise coming from the exhaust: In the event the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Volkswagen T-roc
Before we accomplish with the step you are likely most enthusiastic about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Volkswagen T-roc? We will describe why it might be relevant for you to conduct this cleaning. Indeed, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can fluctuate depending to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . At last, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it frequently will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Volkswagen T-roc?
Finally here is the stage that you are probably most keen on in this article content, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Volkswagen T-roc? Know that this procedure is very very easy, and that there are two techniques to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Volkswagen T-roc on a regular basis: This strategy is specifically useful for persons who mainly do short trips . To do so, nothing could be less difficult, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can discover some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel straight in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go frequently at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to check that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can conduct this process every 15 000km.
If you want more guides on the Volkswagen T-roc, go to our Volkswagen T-roc category.