A catalytic converter is an important part of contemporary cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus suits modern pollution specifications. Nevertheless, it is possible that it may become clogged or malfunction, in which case a change or cleaning is fundamental. In this article we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Toyota Iq? To get this done, first of all, we will show you the scenarios in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Toyota Iq, then, how to accomplish this cleaning to retrieve the effectiveness of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Toyota Iq?
In this first part we will explain why it might be valuable to clean the catalyst of your Toyota Iq . In truth for some of you it might seem obvious but the majority of you do not understand how it functions and the consequences dirty catalytic converter .
Function and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Toyota Iq
The catalytic converter of your Toyota Iq has the function to get rid of harmful exhaust fumes associated with the process of your engine. In truth, it is one of the main parts that fight against the pollution discharged by your Toyota Iq. It will convert these harmful gases into water or nonpolluting fumes. In order to convert these gases, the catalyst of your Toyota Iq a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is therefore essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Toyota Iq. If you are considering making adequately long trips to heat it up repeatedly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimize the life of this element and keep ideal engine performance.
Outcomes of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Toyota Iq
We will now find out what can be the consequences of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Toyota Iq . This will enable you to identify the manifestations that should alarm you to a breakdown of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Toyota Iq is clogged: As we said earlier, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Toyota Iq may come on, do not hesitate to consult our content to find out how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will often times as well have complications.
- A metallic noise originating from the exhaust: In the event the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Toyota Iq
Before we end with the step you are almost certainly most keen on, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Toyota Iq? We will explain why it might be relevant for you to conduct this cleaning. In truth, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can fluctuate according to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it repeatedly will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Toyota Iq?
Finally here is the step that you are likely most interested in in this guideline, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Toyota Iq? Know that this process is very basic, and that there are two methods to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Toyota Iq frequently: This technique is specifically effective for people who principally do short trips . To do this, nothing could be less difficult, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can locate some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel straight in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go repeatedly at high rpm . If you can before and later on do an exhaust gas analysis to examine that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the procedure. You can conduct this procedure every 15 000km.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Toyota Iq, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota Iq category.