A catalytic converter is an essential part of recent cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus matches modern pollution requirements. However, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or breakdown, in which case a change or cleaning is essential. Today we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on saab 9 3? To get this done, to begin with, we will describe the scenarios in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your saab 9 3, then, how to accomplish this cleaning to retrieve the overall performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your saab 9 3?
In this first part we will explain why it might be valuable to clean the catalyst of your saab 9 3 . Obviously for some of you it may seem logical but most of you do not understand how it works and the outcomes dirty catalytic converter .
Function and functioning of the catalytic converter of a saab 9 3
The catalytic converter of your saab 9 3 has the task to get rid of harmful exhaust fumes related to the process of your engine unit. Obviously, it is one of the main elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your saab 9 3. It will convert these harmful gases into water or non-polluting fumes. In order to convert these gases, the catalyst of your saab 9 3 a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is therefore important to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your saab 9 3. If you are considering making enough long trips to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimise the life of this element and preserve ideal engine unit efficiency.
Results of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on saab 9 3
We will now find out what can be the outcomes of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on saab 9 3 . This will enable you to establish the signs of illness that should warn you to a malfunction of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your saab 9 3 is clogged: As we stated above, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your saab 9 3 may come on, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content page to identify how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will analyze the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will quite often as well have complications.
- A metallic noise caused by the exhaust: In the event the catalyst is dead you should hear this noise which means that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your saab 9 3
Before we end with the step you are likely most keen on, how to clean the catalytic converter of a saab 9 3? We will explain why it might be important for you to accomplish this cleaning. Obviously, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the set up, the price can fluctuate depending to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . At last, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its saab 9 3?
Finally here is the stage that you are almost certainly most keen on in this guideline, how to clean the catalytic converter of your saab 9 3? Know that this process is very simple, and that there are two ways to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your saab 9 3 regularly: This technique is especially valuable for persons who specifically do short trips . To do so, nothing could be easier, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can find some in a motor vehicle center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to check that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can accomplish this process every 15 000km.
To get more tips on the saab 9 3, take a look at the saab 9 3 category.