A catalytic converter is an essential part of contemporary cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus meets modern pollution requirements. However, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or malfunction, in which case a replace or cleaning is necessary. In this article we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Opel Zafira Tourer? To achieve this, to begin with, we will show you the situations in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Zafira Tourer, then, how to perform this cleaning to recover the effectiveness of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Opel Zafira Tourer?
In this first part we will show you why it might be important to clean the catalyst of your Opel Zafira Tourer . Obviously for some of you it might seem obvious but most of you do not know how it works and the consequences dirty catalytic converter .
Role and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Opel Zafira Tourer
The catalytic converter of your Opel Zafira Tourer has the task to eliminate harmful exhaust gases associated with the operation of your engine. Obviously, it is one of the main components that fight against the pollution discharged by your Opel Zafira Tourer. It will transform these harmful gases into water or non-polluting gases. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Opel Zafira Tourer a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is therefore essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Opel Zafira Tourer. If you are thinking of making sufficiently long travels to heat it up repeatedly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will allow you to optimize the life of this part and keep ideal engine efficiency.
Results of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Opel Zafira Tourer
We will now discover what can be the consequences of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Opel Zafira Tourer . This will allow you to detect the signs of illness that should alarm you to a breakdown of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Opel Zafira Tourer is blocked: As we explained earlier, if you make too short trips like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Opel Zafira Tourer may come on, do not think twice to seek advice from our content page to find out how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will analyze the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will generally as well have complications.
- A metallic noise caused by the exhaust: In case the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which means that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Zafira Tourer
Before we accomplish with the step you are almost certainly most enthusiastic about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Opel Zafira Tourer? We will show you why it might be relevant for you to carry out this cleaning. Obviously, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the set up, the price can fluctuate depending to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it repeatedly will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Opel Zafira Tourer?
Finally here is the step that you are most likely most interested in in this content page, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Zafira Tourer? Know that this process is very simple, and that there are two methods to do it:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Opel Zafira Tourer frequently: This technique is especially useful for persons who principally do short trips . To do this, nothing could be simpler, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can find some in a motor vehicle center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go repeatedly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to check that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can carry out this process every 15 000km.
If you want more tutorials on the Opel Zafira Tourer, go to our Opel Zafira Tourer category.