A catalytic converter is an important part of modern cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus fulfills modern pollution standards. However, it is possible that it may become clogged or breakdown, in which circumstance a replace or cleaning is important. In this article we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Opel Astra? To get this done, first of all, we will show you the situations in which it may be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Astra, then, how to perform this cleaning to retrieve the performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Opel Astra?
In this first section we will describe why it may be valuable to clean the catalyst of your Opel Astra . Indeed for some of you it may seem logical but most of you do not understand how it works and the results dirty catalytic converter .
Function and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Opel Astra
The catalytic converter of your Opel Astra has the task to get rid of harmful exhaust gases related to the procedure of your engine. Indeed, it is one of the most important components that fight against the pollution discharged by your Opel Astra. It will transform these harmful gases into water or non-polluting gases. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Opel Astra a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is therefore essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Opel Astra. If you are thinking of making adequately long journeys to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimise the life of this element and preserve ideal engine efficiency.
Outcomes of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Opel Astra
We will now find out what can be the results of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Opel Astra . This will enable you to detect the symptoms that should notify you to a breakdown of your catalytic converter, here is the list of symptoms of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Opel Astra is blocked: As we stated earlier, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Opel Astra may come on, do not think twice to seek advice from our content page to find out how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will more often than not as well have complications.
- A metallic noise caused by the exhaust: In the event the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which results in that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Astra
Before we end with the step you are probably most interested in, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Opel Astra? We will describe why it may be important for you to conduct this cleaning. Indeed, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can fluctuate according to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you may be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Opel Astra?
Finally here is the step that you are likely most keen on in this guideline, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Astra? Know that this procedure is very simple, and that there are two techniques to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Opel Astra frequently: This technique is specifically beneficial for people who specifically do short trips . To do so, nothing could be less complicated, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to optimize the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can locate some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and later on do an exhaust gas analysis to examine that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the procedure. You can conduct this procedure every 15 000km.
To get more tips on the Opel Astra, take a look at the Opel Astra category.