A catalytic converter is an essential component of contemporary cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus matches modern pollution standards. However, it is possible that it may become clogged or malfunction, in which case a change or cleaning is important. In this article we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Opel Agila? To achieve this, to begin with, we will explain the situations in which it may be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Agila, then, how to carry out this cleaning to recover the efficiency of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Opel Agila?
In this first part we will show you why it may be important to clean the catalyst of your Opel Agila . In actual fact for some of you it may seem obvious but most of you do not know how it works and the results dirty catalytic converter .
Function and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Opel Agila
The catalytic converter of your Opel Agila has the objective to eliminate harmful exhaust fumes related to the process of your engine unit. In actual fact, it is one of the most important components that fight against the pollution discharged by your Opel Agila. It will convert these harmful gases into water or nonpolluting fumes. In order to convert these gases, the catalyst of your Opel Agila a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can only work from 400°, it is consequently essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Opel Agila. If you are thinking of making adequately long travels to heat it up repeatedly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimize the life of this component and keep best engine unit performance.
Consequences of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Opel Agila
We will now see what can be the results of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Opel Agila . This will enable you to establish the signs of illness that should alert you to a failure of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Opel Agila is clogged: As we explained above, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Opel Agila may come on, do not think twice to consult our article to find out how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will more often than not also have complications.
- A metallic noise caused by the exhaust: In the event that the catalyst is dead you should hear this noise which results in that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Agila
Before we end with the step you are almost certainly most interested in, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Opel Agila? We will show you why it may be relevant for you to carry out this cleaning. In actual fact, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can vary depending to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you may be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it repeatedly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Opel Agila?
Finally here is the step that you are most certainly most interested in in this content page, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Opel Agila? Know that this process is very simple, and that there are two methods to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Opel Agila on a regular basis: This approach is especially useful for people who specifically do short trips . To do this, nothing could be less difficult, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to optimize the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can find some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go repeatedly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to verify that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can carry out this process every 15 000km.
If you have any further questions about the Opel Agila, do not hesitate to consult our Opel Agila category.