A catalytic converter is an important component of recent cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus suits modern pollution specifications. However, it is possible that it may turned out to be clogged or malfunction, in which case a change or cleaning is necessary. In this article we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Mercedes Benz M Class? To get this done, first of all, we will show you the situations in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Mercedes Benz M Class, then, how to perform this cleaning to recover the efficiency of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Mercedes Benz M Class?
In this first part we will explain why it might be beneficial to clean the catalyst of your Mercedes Benz M Class . Obviously for some of you it may seem logical but the majority of you do not know how it works and the results dirty catalytic converter .
Purpose and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Mercedes Benz M Class
The catalytic converter of your Mercedes Benz M Class has the objective to get rid of harmful exhaust fumes associated with the process of your engine. Obviously, it is one of the main components that fight against the pollution discharged by your Mercedes Benz M Class. It will transform these harmful gases into water or nonpolluting fumes. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Mercedes Benz M Class a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can only work from 400°, it is therefore essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Mercedes Benz M Class. If you are thinking of making enough long travels to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will allow you to optimise the life of this part and maintain best engine efficiency.
Outcomes of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Mercedes Benz M Class
We will now discover what can be the results of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Mercedes Benz M Class . This will allow you to detect the symptoms that should inform you to a breakdown of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Mercedes Benz M Class is blocked: As we stated earlier, if you make too short travels like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Mercedes Benz M Class may come on, do not hesitate to consult our content to identify how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will analyze the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will quite often as well have complications.
- A metallic noise caused by the exhaust: In case the catalyst is dead you should hear this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Mercedes Benz M Class
Before we end with the step you are almost certainly most enthusiastic about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Mercedes Benz M Class? We will explain why it might be relevant for you to accomplish this cleaning. Obviously, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can differ according to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Mercedes Benz M Class?
Finally here is the step that you are almost certainly most interested in in this article, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Mercedes Benz M Class? Know that this procedure is very very easy, and that there are two ways to accomplish:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Mercedes Benz M Class frequently: This strategy is especially useful for people who specifically do short trips . To do so, nothing could be less difficult, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to optimize the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can locate some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to verify that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can accomplish this process every 15 000km.
If you have any further questions about the Mercedes Benz M Class, do not hesitate to consult our Mercedes Benz M Class category.