A catalytic converter is an essential part of contemporary cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus matches modern pollution standards. Nevertheless, it is possible that it may become clogged or breakdown, in which circumstance a replace or cleaning is important. Today we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Mazda CX 3? To do this, to begin with, we will show you the scenarios in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Mazda CX 3, then, how to accomplish this cleaning to recover the efficiency of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Mazda CX 3?
In this first part we will describe why it might be important to clean the catalyst of your Mazda CX 3 . Obviously for some of you it may seem obvious but the majority of you do not know how it works and the outcomes dirty catalytic converter .
Role and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Mazda CX 3
The catalytic converter of your Mazda CX 3 has the function to eliminate harmful exhaust fumes related to the process of your engine unit. Obviously, it is one of the most important elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Mazda CX 3. It will transform these harmful gases into water or non-polluting fumes. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Mazda CX 3 a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is therefore essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Mazda CX 3. If you are thinking of making sufficiently long travels to heat it up repeatedly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimise the life of this element and preserve ideal engine unit efficiency.
Results of a dirty or defective catalytic converter on Mazda CX 3
We will now discover what can be the outcomes of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Mazda CX 3 . This will enable you to detect the signs of illness that should inform you to a malfunction of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a defective catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Mazda CX 3 is blocked: As we stated earlier, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Mazda CX 3 may come on, do not hesitate to consult our content to identify how to switch it off.
- A defective lambda sensor : The catalyst works in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will often as well have complications.
- A metallic noise originating from the exhaust: In the event that the catalyst is dead you should hear this noise which means that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Mazda CX 3
Before we accomplish with the step you are most likely most enthusiastic about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Mazda CX 3? We will describe why it might be relevant for you to accomplish this cleaning. Obviously, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the installation, the price can vary depending to the engines). In addition to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last benefit is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it repeatedly will save you quite a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Mazda CX 3?
Finally here is the stage that you are most certainly most enthusiastic about in this guideline, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Mazda CX 3? Know that this procedure is very basic, and that there are two ways to do it:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Mazda CX 3 regularly: This strategy is especially useful for people who principally do short trips . To do so, nothing could be simpler, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to optimize the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can locate some in a car center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel directly in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go repeatedly at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to verify that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can accomplish this process every 15 000km.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Mazda CX 3, do not hesitate to consult our Mazda CX 3 category.