A catalytic converter is a vital component of contemporary cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust fumes and thus meets modern pollution specifications. Nevertheless, it is possible that it may become clogged or breakdown, in which case a replace or cleaning is important. Today we are going to look at how to clean a catalytic converter on Lexus NX? To get this done, to begin with, we will describe the scenarios in which it may be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Lexus NX, then, how to carry out this cleaning to recover the effectiveness of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Lexus NX?
In this first part we will explain why it may be important to clean the catalyst of your Lexus NX . Indeed for some of you it may seem logical but the majority of you do not understand how it functions and the results dirty catalytic converter .
Purpose and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Lexus NX
The catalytic converter of your Lexus NX has the objective to get rid of harmful exhaust fumes related to the operation of your engine. Indeed, it is one of the most important components that fight against the pollution discharged by your Lexus NX. It will transform these harmful gases into water or nonpolluting fumes. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Lexus NX a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can only work from 400°, it is therefore necessary to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Lexus NX. If you are considering making sufficiently long journeys to heat it up regularly (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will enable you to optimise the life of this element and maintain ideal engine overall performance.
Outcomes of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Lexus NX
We will now discover what can be the results of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Lexus NX . This will enable you to discover the manifestations that should inform you to a failure of your catalytic converter, here is the list of signs of illness of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Lexus NX is clogged: As we stated earlier, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start working and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust fumes.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Lexus NX may come on, do not think twice to consult our content page to identify how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will often times also have complications.
- A metallic noise originating from the exhaust: In case the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Lexus NX
Before we accomplish with the step you are likely most curious about, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Lexus NX? We will explain why it may be relevant for you to carry out this cleaning. Indeed, a catalytic converter is a very expensive component (about 500 euros with the set up, the price can differ depending to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you may be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . At last, the last benefit is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it regularly will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Lexus NX?
Finally here is the stage that you are most certainly most keen on in this article, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Lexus NX? Know that this procedure is very simple, and that there are two approaches to do it:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Lexus NX on a regular basis: This approach is specifically valuable for people who specifically do short trips . To do so, nothing could be less complicated, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can find some in a motor vehicle center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel straight in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go regularly at high rpm . If you can before and later on do an exhaust gas analysis to examine that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the process. You can carry out this process every 15 000km.
If you need more tutorials on the Lexus NX, go to our Lexus NX category.